View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Yes he is from good breeding with hip scored parents. Everything was done right from an early age, yet he still got hd.
I am experienced with GSDs and have had 3 now, so am not clueless and know what I want, just wanted some moral support as I have not trained a dog for 8 years since mine was a pup so I am out of practice I hVe plenty of helpers and advice from work, but like to get a range of opinions!

Out of curiosity, if you were to rescue an adult gsd, say with unknown parentage would you be just as wary as rescuing a pup?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Median will sit at a different number to average though?

Here is a list I got (from google but its a vets site) that has them in average.
I think GSD is 19, LR is 16 and Dobes are 10 on this list.

http://www.vetrica.com/care/dog/hdscore.shtml

Either way there will dogs in all three breeds with good or bad hips. I have met lots of GSD with hip problems but also LR's with HD. Pretty sure there must be plenty of crossbreeds (and other breeds) that also suffer HD.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I`ve had GSDs for over 40 years and only saw a pedigree for one of them. None had hip problems.
But then, I`m just your average owner and your experience might be different. How many GSDs with HD have you had?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Littlepony View Post
Yes he is from good breeding with hip scored parents. Everything was done right from an early age, yet he still got hd.
I am experienced with GSDs and have had 3 now, so am not clueless and know what I want, just wanted some moral support as I have not trained a dog for 8 years since mine was a pup so I am out of practice sure it will come back to you it wont have a choice I hVe plenty of helpers and advice from work, but like to get a range of opinions!

Out of curiosity, if you were to rescue an adult gsd, say with unknown parentage would you be just as wary as rescuing a pup?
I'm not sure what you mean? Wary of what? You can see by the movement of a dog if its hips are 'off' as an adult, perhaps a little more dificult as a pup but not sure if thats teh aspect your asking about being wary of?

Jodee just out of curiosity, do you think (some) people put so much emphasis on hip scores that they do not always look so closely at confirmation and movement with their own eye? (just curious)
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Well if it was me I would go with one of the rescue pups - what a lovely home you could give it
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by paulandfloyd View Post
Didnt say they weren't.
then why say you wouldnt get a GSD but you have a lab...when they are almost as bad if not around equal?

your life, your opinion, your choice but just wondering what the big difference is?
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Just wondering why breeding is so important really. Not saying it isn't as i have always checked kc register etc, but what I meant was working where I do has made me think maybe other things are more important?
Maybe the mutt is a better option if I am not planning to breed it and just want it as a pet?

Just thinking out loud really
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 06:32 PM
I am experienced with GSDs and have had 3 now, so am not clueless and know what I want, just wanted some moral support as I have not trained a dog for 8 years since mine was a pup so I am out of practice I hVe plenty of helpers and advice from work, but like to get a range of opinions!

It is most important that not just the parents are scored, but the whole pedigree. The scoring scheme has been in existence for over 30 years so there is no excuse for any dog in a 5 generation pedigree not to be scored.

I've had GSDs since 1958 when I bought my first one from Gwen Barrington(Brittas)from two German imports. I've researched the breed every time I have bought in a puppy & would never consider obtaining one from a litter of unknown origin.

As for a rescue adult GSD that is totally a different ball game, they can be assessed & depending on character I would consider one. My friend only ever has rescue GSDs & she has always ensured that her dogs are kept in a hard dry condition to counteract any physical condition.

My next GSD will come direct from Germany as a puppy(aged 10/11 months)from a history going back to the first dogs health tested for HD/Haemophilia/ED/DM/Dwarfism. haven't a clue to how much he will cost me, but I do know what I want & like
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Just wondering why breeding is so important really. Not saying it isn't as i have always checked kc register etc, but what I meant was working where I do has made me think maybe other things are more important?
Maybe the mutt is a better option if I am not planning to breed it and just want it as a pet?

Just thinking out loud really
well no one can answer that for you really, is their 'breeding' importanmt to YOU? thats the thing..
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I'm not sure what you mean? Wary of what? You can see by the movement of a dog if its hips are 'off' as an adult, perhaps a little more dificult as a pup but not sure if thats teh aspect your asking about being wary of?

Jodee just out of curiosity, do you think (some) people put so much emphasis on hip scores that they do not always look so closely at confirmation and movement with their own eye? (just curious)
I have had 2 dogs with severe HD both BCs both scored over 50(one 56 & one 6neither dog is/was lame & the one who is deceased was 13 1/2 when he was PTS as he had cancer-he never developed arthritis & my Jessie(the other one)is not affected by her hips at all.

They are/were sound dogs & movement is not a guide to HD. My first male BC was scored 3:3=6 at 3 1/2 years of age, he was sound, but not as good as my dog with the 68 score !!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >