Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Treat toys tested!

Ok we have four treats toys now. 1 old and 3 new which we've had for about a week and a half.

Food used - Skinners duck and rice / Salmon and rice (dry dog food).

Goodboy training treat ball:

All four dogs understand it but does not take that long to empty maximum time - 10-15 mins and some of our dogs are quicker.

Company of Animals Pyramid treat toy:

About the same as above Harris the vizsla really likes it and spins it around.

Labyrinth snacky ball:

Harris LOVES playing fetch across the livingroom with it
It takes a resonable bit longer to empty than the two above.
Bryn the whippet got excited about it and his brain kicked in, so he got on with it quite well.
Bertie (GSP) likes anything if it involves food so he likes all of them and so does Sid pretty much.

Tug-a-Jug

Bertie is the only one who empties it about as quick as he does the other toys.
Sid (cocker x westie) LOVES it, it's probably his favorite toy it took him hours and hours to get the treats out, he had to stop for rests and pants because he's putting in so much effort (even though he's quite fit and can do a days beating / picking up) I think he's improving his method and getting a little quicker but is still taking a long time, he 'play growls' at it when he get frustrated .
Harris loves it too, although I don't think he's got anything out of it but he likes it anyway .
I haven't really let Bryn have ago because I think it's to big and complex for his little whippetyness.

I know this is some thing that comes up quite a lot but add your reviews if you wish.

Sophie
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Rolo quite likes his tug a jug, and he has a ball type that releases toys as he rolls it past the whole and it makes noises.

Both hold his interest but he quite likes the ball in preference to the jug, but i think this is because the jug is harder to master, so we choose carefully which one to give him at what time. Rolo also plays with the tugajug toy not seeming to care if he gets anything out of it or not, just ragging it around seems fun.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Etta has the pyramid for meals sometimes, she doesn't ever have a bowl.

Tuga jug I used a lot when she was a pup cause the kibble fitted better. Ball was good fun. Flying saucer in purple is quite good. Best are kongs TBH.

rune
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Tug a jug isn't safe for determined chewers. It took Rupert about 3 minutes to crush and pierce it leaving sharp edges.

A kong is the only one I use, anything less solid Rupe just destroys. Can't even leave him with a Kong unsupervised or he'll enlarge the hole in it by gnawing chunks off.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-01-2011, 01:32 AM
Can't recall what this 'hard ball type' is called but I've seen them in a few places.

I would say 'Supervised Only'

Skye liked to roll it around and let the treats drop out. He'd spend hours with it so it's suitable for a gentle dog that isn't food obsessed.

Breagh would be a little more enthusiastic but nothing that the ball couldn't cope with

Fingal rolled it over two or three times, got the door on top, held it under one foot and rippedthe door off with his teeth.

Once I removed the broken part - the semi circular opening was suitable for big broken biscuits or Boneo type treats but without the sliding door I can't put it on it's smallest setting. It still does for a bit of fun but not suitable for small treats that trickle out over a period of time which is what some owners may want for mental stimulation over a period of time such as 'home alone'.

It's also worth mentioning that if this had broken whilst unsupervised - the pointy bit you can see still attached to the ball above the opening (which I removed) was razor sharp.

--------------------------------

I also returned a prickly Kong 'type' treat toy one afternoon after buying it that morning. I'd explained that Fingal was a heavy chewer and she explained that this particular 'toy' was designed with power chewers in mind.

The lady in the shop asked if I owned a crocodile when she saw the remains that I put on the counter. Needless to say we got a refund.

----------------------------------

Large Black toughest KONG - They last a fair old time and whilst they do get ripped in the end - they're just solid rubber which does no real harm if I'm not about.

----------------------------------

Finding 'solid' toys that stand up to power chewers is one thing but finding 'treat toys' that do the same yet remain interactive enough to 'engage' the dogs is another thing all together.

My advice is to spend money on a quality product and when choosing - give a little thought to what that product might be like if it becomes split or broken whilst you're away.

------------------------------------

Best treat toy for my lot so far.............tough black KONG.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Don't you just love spaniels!

On the same theme at the Christmas party this year someone brought a deep cup cake baking tray and put a treat in each hole then various different balls on the top. It was good fun and a cheap interactive toy.

rune
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:04 AM
lol @ Phils spaniel!

So far the other toy I have found to stand up to chewing and providing some stimulation is the kong.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:39 AM
I'd go for the kong - nothing else is likely to last more than about 5 minutes with my guy - he can rip a tennis ball to bald shreds in under a minute.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Good replies and pics! Thats like our 'old one' we've had it a few years and ours is still in one piece but will remember not to leave them out thanks for that.

We also have a kong for each dog
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Fingal was at the 'needing a trim' stage in those pics lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >