Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2010, 07:01 PM

Question re Good Breeders

After reading and the Thread Makes my Blood Boil I noticed it had sort of went of topic onto Good/ Bad Breeders.
I agree with the information posted about What makes a Good Breeder on that thread and then thought I also think a Good Breeder should always meet a prospective new owner not just the once. Soooo I was wondering

How many of you have phoned a Breeder, arranged to view a pup and took it home the same day???? Thanks
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 07:03 PM
not me...

I already knew and had met the breeder many times at dog shows, I placed a deposit on my pup before the bitch was even mated
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Ive did it in the past both for show & pet. Show breeder was recommended highly & i was made known to her so perhaps not same. My first Boxer went to see & bought her on the spot. Cost a fortune health wise but i wouldnt change a single minute that i had with her. I shouldve known better as i showed dogs for years!! I think a lot depends on the circumstances

When we were put in contact with katies breeder, we had a long chat on the phone (we were recommended to him, he always has a waiting list) went to see pup at 4 weeks, wee brindle girl. After a very long chat where he decided what pup we were to have - Ah he knew what he was doing, sent his daughter out for pup, she came back in & set this tiny white pup in my arms & that was it, hook link & sinker. Then we had weekly reports umtil she was old enough to come home.

Harvey came from same breeder
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 07:38 PM
We did with Jazz. Heard about him through a friend (very trusted) and went to collect him the same day.

I did not see Siren in the flesh before I collected her, but knew the breeder well and had met many of her dogs.
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Not me...but it was a close thing.
We went to see him, then picked him up the next time we went, when he was old enough.
By my own admission though, now I'm better informed and older, I wouldn't do it this way again (although I love him and have no regrets). Next time it's reputatble breeder and waiting list, or rescue.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
After reading and the Thread Makes my Blood Boil I noticed it had sort of went of topic onto Good/ Bad Breeders.
I agree with the information posted about What makes a Good Breeder on that thread and then thought I also think a Good Breeder should always meet a prospective new owner not just the once. Soooo I was wondering

How many of you have phoned a Breeder, arranged to view a pup and took it home the same day???? Thanks
Nope not me.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Nope.

Had to wait nearly 6 months for Dex...had our name down before the bitch was even bred!

With Bo's breeder, I contacted him (by chance) the day before her dam whelped. So, had an 8 week wait.

Tilly's breeder had one bitch pup left...met them at 4 weeks and then she came home 4 weeks later.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I think what also sticks out about the blood boils thread is..........

quite a few of the neg comments on breeders came from people who have never had any dealings with any breeders?
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm currently on a waiting list with a breeder to get a puppy, have been for about a month now and the bitch was bred on the 14th and the 16th of this month. We're going to view them when they're born in June and choose our puppy and put deposit on it then we're going to go see again when the puppy is about 5 weeks old so we can see them running around and then will be picking up at 8 weeks in August We also get sent pictures and updates during this time as well.... i can't wait
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think what also sticks out about the blood boils thread is..........

quite a few of the neg comments on breeders came from people who have never had any dealings with any breeders?
Very True I started this thread as it amazes me how many stories I have heard from people who just read an advert, phoned and then viewed and brought home a pup. To me that would be a big No No for they are not good breeders imo as selling to anyone imo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >