Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Melissa711 View Post
WOW! I can't believe anyone still thinks this way. I'm amazed.

If a breeder is going to take the responsibility of bringing puppies into this world, it is their responsibility to find them good homes. Ithe world and they still can bring more deaf puppies into the world. All deaf dogs should be spayed and neutered - that I firmly believe.

Not sure why you are amazed.. every breeder will follow their own code of ethics.. and as you say it is the breders responsibility .. and it is their responsibilty to do what they feel is best for their pups.

I think it is wonderful that so many find loving homes and live a happy normal life.. but lets not forget many dont, many end up in rescue, and stay there , is that a better life.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2009, 05:13 PM
If a breeders code of ethics is to PTS deaf pups then that (imo) is no way an ethical breeder. They are taking the easy route out.

I'm as amazed as the poster above that this practice goes on as i think many dog lovers would be.

It may not be an ideal world, but what has that got to do with it? So a dog can't hear, it won't know any different and as has been expressed by people with lots of experience of living with deaf dogs, they are no harder to live with than any other dog.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
If a breeders code of ethics is to PTS deaf pups then that (imo) is no way an ethical breeder. They are taking the easy route out.

I'm as amazed as the poster above that this practice goes on as i think many dog lovers would be.

It may not be an ideal world, but what has that got to do with it? So a dog can't hear, it won't know any different and as has been expressed by people with lots of experience of living with deaf dogs, they are no harder to live with than any other dog.
Thank you! It is seriously irresponsible of any breeder to euth. deaf pups. just as irresponsible of them to continue breeding the dogs that caused the pups in the first place. Yes there is the odd accident, or surprise, but it shouldn't be common. both parents should be prevented from breeding again, as well as ALL siblings. it wont completely solve the issue, but it will help. but then as someone else said, this is not a perfect world, and there are alot of people out there who could give a rats A#$ about where their pups end up or how healthy they are.... whatever makes a buck, right?
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Thank you! It is seriously irresponsible of any breeder to euth. deaf pups. just as irresponsible of them to continue breeding the dogs that caused the pups in the first place. Yes there is the odd accident, or surprise, but it shouldn't be common. both parents should be prevented from breeding again, as well as ALL siblings. it wont completely solve the issue, but it will help. but then as someone else said, this is not a perfect world, and there are alot of people out there who could give a rats A#$ about where their pups end up or how healthy they are.... whatever makes a buck, right?

I don't know too many people who would disagree with that.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post

I don't know too many people who would disagree with that.
Except the entire Dalmatian Club of America and their Code of Ethics!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 08:45 PM
depends if there is suitable home for the pup(s)

a breeder has a responsibility to find a home for allpups....

i would only agree with pts if the dog was deaf and blind - therefore imo having no quality of life...

a deaf dog wouldnt bother me and i would take one on no problem...!
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2009, 08:56 AM
[QUOTE=suze;1658667]i would only agree with pts if the dog was deaf and blind - therefore imo having no quality of life...QUOTE]

That I will admit is a very tricky one.

Would it really have no quality of life? If it could be homed with other dogs to follow or stay with the breeder.
I know it wouldn't be able to go off lead in open areas but it would follow movement and vibrations (like in agility when they go through the tunnels they know where you are because they can feel the vibrations from your feet). Maybe I'm being unrealistic.

Anyone have a dog who is deaf and blind......how do they and you cope?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 09:28 AM
I know a deaf and partially blind Lurcher...he has a good life I think - he goes out running in an enclosed field. She will not let him off anywhere he does not know. He was a rescue.

I do not know any dogs who have been born totatly deaf and Blind.

BTW.....the person I went to see with the Deaf JRT is doing really well. He has no over expectations of the dog and his main worry was that he was not giving the dog the life it deserved.

The dog has a good hour, twice a day off lead on a regular walk (about 3 miles) through fields off lead. He has put stations around the walk and stops at each one and rewards the dog so the dog wuill wait at each station.

The dog gets back to thier land and he puts it on a lead. It had a 20m running line set up and a couple of other points where he can be attached to be near where the guy is working. He has his food in Kongs or treat balls. He also gets a good play time every day with next doors Airdale in an enclosed field.

He has his own chickens who are well einclosed in a large area and the dog cannot get to them. He has done everything he can to give this dog the best life possible and is suceeding....it was really great and really positive.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
BTW.....the person I went to see with the Deaf JRT is doing really well. He has no over expectations of the dog and his main worry was that he was not giving the dog the life it deserved.

The dog has a good hour, twice a day off lead on a regular walk (about 3 miles) through fields off lead. He has put stations around the walk and stops at each one and rewards the dog so the dog wuill wait at each station.

The dog gets back to thier land and he puts it on a lead. It had a 20m running line set up and a couple of other points where he can be attached to be near where the guy is working. He has his food in Kongs or treat balls. He also gets a good play time every day with next doors Airdale in an enclosed field.

He has his own chickens who are well einclosed in a large area and the dog cannot get to them. He has done everything he can to give this dog the best life possible and is suceeding....it was really great and really positive.
Without sounding soppy, that was really heartwarming , he sounds like he has a better life than a lot of dogs we hear about.

I was prepared to have my mind changed on this and reading through everyone's comments has been really interesting, but I'm still of the mind that these dogs should absolutely not be put down simply for being deaf or blind or both.
Lot's of other dogs out there have things that their owners have to work around. I don't see this as any different.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 01:38 PM
There are several deaf/blind dogs on our Yahoo group. they all seem to lead very happy lives. There are definite considerations for deaf/blind, but they can be very happy. I transported a deaf, severely nearsighted Great Dane last fall. he was no different than any other dane I've met.... I would have kept the guy if I didn't have a height limit where I was living. he knew several signs and touch signals (signs had to be big and right infront of his face) he is a wonderful dog, and very happy in his new home. I am glad you haven't changed your mind JanieM, they do NOT need to be euth just because of a disability. They aren't suffering in any way, and they can have a great quality of life!
Page 5 of 27 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »