View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 03:54 PM
I'd be very grateful to my dogs and take them straight to McDonald's (although in reality my Malamutes would probably just rummage through my pockets for treats while I was unable to stop them and my collie would run a mile) My Lab however is very protective , although with her age and mobility it would have to be a very very slow attacker for her to be much use!
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Some years ago when I still had my DobeXrottie (Winston) i was out walking with my sister and her two westies. Winston was investifating the bushes behind us when some random bloke came over and started shouting at us both for having dogs (totally undercontrol) off the lead. He was right up in our faces and quite intimadating. He was shouting about the westies who were playing with a ball. (I think he hadn't seen Winston). at this point Winston walked over to us put himself in-between us the mouthy idot and "grinned" a very large white toothy grin. the bloke stopped shouting looked at Winston, looked at us, looked back at the dog and walked away quickly!!! Winston didn't move bark growl or do anything other then "grin" at the bloke but it stopped him in mid rant! I still think about what could have happened if Winnie hadn't been with us as this bloke seemed a little unhinged.
steak and chips for Winston for tea that night i can tell you.
but the lot i have now????? think they would run away screaming if someone tried something. I hope they would try and help mummy though....... although i'm pretty big and scary and could manage to handle most things myself i hope.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Chris_Collins View Post
I think the difference that needs to be made is that a dog that attacks without provocation obviously has extreme issues that need to be resolved. In this day and age, and the throw-away society as a whole, it is easier for governing bodies to destroy than to resolve.

If a dog attacks through provocation then I believe it is doing what comes naturally.

very well said. I completely agree. If a dog was to run up to me completely unprovoked and attack me...then yes I class that as a dangerous dog and would report it, as I could have been a child. But if I was say for example, to meet a dog in the street, stroke it without asking first, and got a chunk out of my arm...I wouldnt report...as that dog may have been frightened?? Does that make sense??

On the other side of the story, if Flower attacked someone to protect me she would be getting juicy steaks for the rest of the week......
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure what Dale would do Probably run but if he defended me he'd certainly be my hero
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-06-2008, 05:32 PM
If my attacker was male - I'd have to fathom out how to share two testicles between 3 dogs.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I don't want to start another debate about dogs biting people in general - I'm interested in one specific question.

The reason I want to ask this is because on a thread that's been recently locked, many people said regardless of why their dog bit someone it would be destroyed and it got me thinking.

If you were walking your dog and someone approached you and attacked you, say they attempted to mug you and ended up pulling out a knife, or God forbid wanted to sexually assault you and your dog took a chunk out of them in your defence... what would you do?

Would you still be contemplating having the dog destroyed or would you be glad your dog had been there?

I know my dog would be getting a big fat juicy steak and I'm much more confident to walk anywhere without human company now that I have a dog.

How do you feel about it?
Originally Posted by suze View Post
cook the biggest steak ever for my dog

protection in that case imo is the best loyalty ever....
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
damn right!
if anyone tried to attack me and she bit then she would be treated like a queen!!

not just the princess she is now!! lol!
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Again they would get more treats than they could handle.
Agreed, same here. x
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2008, 09:17 PM
I got kicked in the back a few years back whilst walking two of my Mastiffs,I flew onot my front,and he sort of straddled me,one of the "girls" had him pulled away from me in a split second,the other sort of stood guard over me,I took hold of the dog that was chewing him up a wee bit,and managed to pull her away,the other stayed between me and him,he legged it,there was lots of blood around the bitey ones muzzle,but not sure if she had damaged him or bit her own mouth they are very jowelly,I called the police myself,removed the dogs from the area, no way were they going to be removed from me after that,the police contacted the hospitals,as I told them exactly what happened,there was a lot of hoo harr about my not letting them have the dogs to assess,my heroes were not going to a holding kennel until their fates were decided,they remained my pets and adored companions well into old age,and no one can tell me they did wrong,
Wendy
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 10:48 PM
ben would get lots of fuss n treats.
my old dog once bit my ex on the leg (more of a warning nip) but at the time my ex was giving me a pasting. so my old dog got lots of extra treats that night. funnily enough my ex was a bit reluctant to touch me after that.
arctic.wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I don't want to start another debate about dogs biting people in general - I'm interested in one specific question.

The reason I want to ask this is because on a thread that's been recently locked, many people said regardless of why their dog bit someone it would be destroyed and it got me thinking.

If you were walking your dog and someone approached you and attacked you, say they attempted to mug you and ended up pulling out a knife, or God forbid wanted to sexually assault you and your dog took a chunk out of them in your defence... what would you do?

Would you still be contemplating having the dog destroyed or would you be glad your dog had been there?

I know my dog would be getting a big fat juicy steak and I'm much more confident to walk anywhere without human company now that I have a dog.

How do you feel about it?

I must have missed that part.

I think that any dog biting to protect their owner is a completely different scenario to the one on the other thread.

Mine have never had to protect me yet, I hope that they would, but wouldn't be surprised if Talli just wanted to play with an attacker. And yes I do hope that their size would put anyone off trying, and I feel safer walking with them than on my own. If anything ever happened and they did protect me, they would get lots of fuss and praise.

In some situations it is perfectly ok for a dog to bite, eg a police dog doing it's duty.
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2008, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by arctic.wolf View Post
I must have missed that part.

I think that any dog biting to protect their owner is a completely different scenario to the one on the other thread.

Mine have never had to protect me yet, I hope that they would, but wouldn't be surprised if Talli just wanted to play with an attacker. And yes I do hope that their size would put anyone off trying, and I feel safer walking with them than on my own. If anything ever happened and they did protect me, they would get lots of fuss and praise.

In some situations it is perfectly ok for a dog to bite, eg a police dog doing it's duty.
I thought that police dogs were trained in Schutzhund, in which case they are taught not to bite but to hold and contain the person.

If anyone was daft enough to take me on then bigger fool them and fair play to my dogs if they got bitten. Would have to be very good runners My dogs don't guard me at all when we are out but I am 100% certain that if I needed them they would be there
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >