Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2012, 09:06 AM

Contact points - "wait" "stand"???

Hi when teaching a dog to pause at a contact point do you use a command eg "wait" "stand" etc or a hand signal?

I wanted to use "wait" as to me and my dogs this means hold the position you are in now (stand, sit, down, or anything else) until I tell you to move. The instructor said the dog would be confused if I used this and said I should say "stand" instead. What do you think? Why would it be better to say "stand"?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2012, 09:13 AM
I use 'standonit' as for me it's not the same as a stand, or a stay - its a different behaviour, but whatever works for you is fine.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2012, 09:46 AM
I've never used "stand" for either of my dogs, I always say "wait".

"Wait" and "walk" were the first commands I taught them when they were puppies and I'd practice the commands with them along the lane outside my house. You can use "wait" in many situations - like - getting in and out of the car or when you're opening or closing the gate or the front door!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2012, 09:51 AM
I don't know why it would confuse the dog any more than 'stand' would - it all depends on what your dog understands by the command. I would use whatever you are happy with - you could use 'bananas' and as long as your dog knows that means to stop until released, that's fine!

Personally, I don't use a command at all - my dog understands that the command for any of the contact equipment means do the obstacle and stop at the end until released.

There's nothing like a handler screaming 'wait' at their dog to make the judge aware that it is unlikely to get the contact!
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2012, 11:11 AM
I use 'steady' mostly because I can mutter it low and he'll still understand it and it won't confuse him with the 'wait' and 'stay' commands I use in everyday life. It also allows me to just slow him down rather than make him stop ensuring the contact is touched but still allowing him to maintain some momentum.
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2012, 09:35 AM
For my current dog, I use 'touch' for 2o2o contacts on dogwalk/seesaw as taught using a target at the end.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Command eventually to mean go to the contact position and wait for next cue, as you will want to move away from the dog to a better position for yourself , either to direct or as a timesaver for yourself.
Beginners stay with the equipment to give brake signals and timed commands.
As said, any word will do and depends which behaviour is reinforced.
I want to use taxi.
So I can say taxi for Kobi.
Have seen Steady, wait, there! to initially get the behaviour.
Clicker training comes into its own for steps like this.
Shaping.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2012, 10:00 PM
I use 'wait' to stop on the end of the contact in a 2 on, 2 off position, the trouble with 'wait' is that it should mean stop where you are and remain in that position, so you can't use it to mean go to the end and stop in the position. I use just 'sit' or 'sit there' on the start line as a wait command.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-11-2012, 10:09 PM
sorry. I did not mean 'wait' for the finished behaviour, go to contact.
Steady as they go near, wait or there has to be timed as they hit the contact.
Go to the end (taxi), is an independent contact , same as independent weave entry allowing the handler to be away from the dog. This is the ideal and I'm nowhere near that yet
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2012, 02:58 PM
I used a running contact for Remmy but with Lucy, my new pup I decided I would try the 2o2o as we were starting Agility using a clicker. I used a target with "touch" and she has a very solid contact. She is only into her 5th Foundation Agility class so has a long way to go and is just 11 months but I am pleased with her progress. Our instructor lets us use whatever word we want for the 2o2o.