Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 07:24 PM

Lathams Kibble - Tesco

Lathams is a new food they are stocking in Tesco. It's on an introductory offer of £4.33 for a 2kg bag and veternarian approved apparantly

Anyway, I always keep some kibble in even though I feed raw and I was running low so decided to have a look and the ingredients dont look bad at all so I bought 2 bags.

Anyway, for anybody who is interested or is trying to decide on a complete food then the link is below:
http://lathamsdogfood.com/

Anybody tried it already?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Just looked at the puppy food ..
Can anyone decipher the Composition for me ?..
,Turkey Meat Meal (26%) , Rice (26%) ,Chicken ,Oats ,Potato Protein ,Chicken Fat , Linseed (2.5%) , Sugar Beet Pulp (2.5%) ,Digest ,Barley , Seaweed (1.25%) , Alfalfa (0.5%) ,Calcium Phosphate , Chicory (0.1%) ,Calcium Carbonate ,TempText7. ,Additives ,Nutritional Additives/Kg ,Vitamin A 17 ,000IU ,Vitamin D3 1 ,500IU ,Vitamin E 145mg ,Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 4mg ,Sodium Selenite 2mg ,Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate 32mg ,Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate 200mg ,Manganese Oxide 81mg ,Zinc Oxide 135mg. ,Technological Additives ,Antioxidants ,Tocopherol Extracts of Natural Origin 375mg/Kg
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Just looked at the puppy food ..
Can anyone decipher the Composition for me ?..
,Turkey Meat Meal (26%) , Rice (26%) ,Chicken ,Oats ,Potato Protein ,Chicken Fat , Linseed (2.5%) , Sugar Beet Pulp (2.5%) ,Digest ,Barley , Seaweed (1.25%) , Alfalfa (0.5%) ,Calcium Phosphate , Chicory (0.1%) ,Calcium Carbonate ,TempText7. ,Additives ,Nutritional Additives/Kg ,Vitamin A 17 ,000IU ,Vitamin D3 1 ,500IU ,Vitamin E 145mg ,Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 4mg ,Sodium Selenite 2mg ,Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate 32mg ,Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate 200mg ,Manganese Oxide 81mg ,Zinc Oxide 135mg. ,Technological Additives ,Antioxidants ,Tocopherol Extracts of Natural Origin 375mg/Kg

So this is 26% turkey and 74% everything else. These are the nutrients but what is the analysis ie protein, oil, moisture and ash

Rice AND barley AND oats AND Linseed, that is a lot of grain PLUS potato.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-06-2011, 07:46 PM
''Technological Additives ''
That is a new one me ...
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 07:47 PM
I bought the light version and was just impressed that I didnt see the words wheat, animal derivatives or maize!
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I bought the light version and was just impressed that I didnt see the words wheat, animal derivatives or maize!
Not seen that before but yeah agree, well looks much better than Bakers thats for sure, (sorry just got Bakers on my mind at the mo) as I've recently seen what comes out the other end of a dog fed on Bakers ...... loads and loads of it..... no NOT my dog a dog I walked, oh I wish I could say something
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 10:05 AM
I saw this in Tesco last week and had a peek at the ingredients, i thought it was quite good for an off the shelf supermarket food, even Harringtons which is one of the better ones only has 14% meat in. They changed the recipe because it used to be about 24%.

Yes a lot of cereals but so has Burns and other premium foods, the only way to guarantee less fillers is to go grain free, and thats very expensive ! or raw of course which doesn;t suit every dog either.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 10:25 AM
If I was going to feed a food with cereals I would have preferably ONE source of grain, not a whole mish mash.

It is one of the cunning ways designed to deceive customers, it is called grain splitting;

As soon as you see the meat content is only 26% you know the rest is carbs with a bit of oil thrown in.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 09:41 PM
To me it looks pretty similar to JWB, but much cheaper, although I think JWB might be a bit overpriced as you can get similar things for less. It works out at less per KG than Bakers which is a much worse food, so not bad for quality/value ratio.

JWB ingredients for comparrison: Rice, Turkey Meat Meal, Oats, Whole Linseed, Turkey Gravy, Turkey Fat, Sugar Beet Pulp, Alfalfa, Natural Seaweed, Sodium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, D,L-Methionine, Lysine Hydrochloride, Threonine, JWB Special Ingredients.

I think it is pretty grainy and the technological additives bit worries me a little bit! Any ideas what that could be?!