Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Am I being funny?

Hi

Wanted to see what people thought about this and if they agree with me.

My mum and dad have a house in Spain that they have with a holiday rental company but my dad wants to do his own website. I mentioned to my mum ages ago about the mrsite website and that my friend, Sam, uses it to sell jewellery she makes.

My dad rang my mobile yesterday while i was at work and asked for Sam's number sp he could ring her to ask about setting up a website. Now my dad has never met Sam, and I find it a bit weird that he thinks it is ok to ring one of my friend's asking her questions when he is capable of going onto the site himself. I said that she is away in Greece at the moment and he wouldn't be able to get hold of her anyway. He still asked me to send him her number but I don't want to.

The thing is she has enough on her plate without this. She has MS and has just had a bad few months, her son has diabetes and I don't want my dad ringing her and mithering her with stupid questions.

My dad is not very computer literate, or at least doesn't want to try and would rather have people sort things out for him. He's not old or helpless, but won't try. When he first got his pc years ago, he would be ringing me up at 11pm at night asking how to do things, until I stopped answering the phone at that time of night and he got the message.

I ended the conversation yesterday by saying I was busy and would have to get off the phone. I haven't sent him her number and I'm not going to. She's a very good friend and I'm not prepared to lose that for my dad. He caught me unawares by ringing me at work and if he rings again, he will be told.

Please reassure me that it is weird to want my friend's number. I know if someone gave my number out and a stranger rang me, I'd be annoyed!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I agree, I wouldn't give out a friend's number even to my husband, let alone my dad (if he was still here). I can't believe that he doesn't realise, he would be putting both you AND her in a bit of a spot, and the very least he could expect would be for you to tell him that you would ASK her first, if she minded him ringing up to ask a few questions about the website.

I would also tell him about her current problems, and explain in a nice way, that she really couldn't be doing with taking on more at the moment, but when you find the time, you will ask her about it.

The trouble is, maybe your dad is getting a bit desperate about letting the place, maybe he feels they're not doing enough (that letting agency), and it's foremost in his mind, so he's not quite thinking straight, and forgetting his manners a bit hey?! We're all guilty of that sometimes. Maybe ask him if he's got problems?

I would add, that I have a little holiday home that I let out down in the south east UK, and I use an internet letting site, specifically for my purpose, and THEY do my website, which I just play around with by using the calendar they've supplied me, and the write up etc. I've done myself and the pics, so maybe he needs to try and find a suitable site, he pays an annual one off payment and usually they do the website for you. I am also a member of a forum which is specifically for holiday letting owners only, so you can chat about anything you need to know on there, so if you like I can pm that to you if I'm allowed, or send you my e-mail addy via pm if that helps?

Good luck, take it gently with your dad, he may just be worried and just didn't think!
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2010, 02:24 PM
The problem with both my mum and dad is they don't realise when they have overstepped the mark.

I don't think he sees anything wrong in having her number, without me checking with her first if it's ok, and to be honest, I'm not even going to mention it to her.

They both say hurtful and inappropriate comments to me and both my sisters and think they have the right to, as they are the parents, and this is why he practically demanded her number.

If he rings asking again, he will be told he is not having it.

They jump into things without thinking and did the same with the house in spain. They thought that it would be rented out most of the year, but it is in a crap area, with thousands of houses all the same up for rent (it's just like the shot in the truman show with all the house roofs). They signed with the holiday rental company without checking them out and now because the company isn't pushing the house, they want to have their own website, but want someone else to set it up

Yes, please pm me the holiday letting forum, if you don't mind.

thanks
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Maybe it's me but I don't reaklly think it's weird that your dad asked for your friend's no. to ask about the website - maybe it's a generation gap thing It probably would have been more appropriate if he'd have said "Would you ask your friend could she help me?"I would just say to him that you will ask your friend if she has the time she could help him with Mr. Site & also explain to your dad that your friend has a lot on her plate & that you mentioned the siteto him because it is so easy to do even for people who aren't techno savvy so maybe he could at least have a go!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
I don't think it's wierd, but if you are not comfortable with it, why not suggest that you will ask her to call him when she gets back from her holiday?
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 01:17 PM
I would just explain to him what you have said about her having other things to deal with at the moment. Or you could ask her if she would give your dad some advice and if its ok for him to call her ?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 04:59 PM
i dont think its odd at all. You should just mention it too her when she gets back & ask her if she wopuld be willing to have a quick word with your dad.