Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-06-2011, 08:34 AM

Turkey "tails" ["the Parson's Nose"]

Are they too fatty? I know there is quite a lot of meat in them but there is also quite a lot of fat [they are not just chopped off but also have a thick piece of skin with some meat and a lot of fat].

I know that the chicken "tails" my neighbour got for me last time did not have much fat but the ones she got yesterday are turkey "tails" and I am not sure whether the fat will be good or bad for Pereg.

Any advice please?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Be sparing, remember pancreatitis can be triggered by too much fat.

So cut them up and add to other meals.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Thank you. I thought as much, especially as I have medication-induced pancreatitis myself and know I have to watch my own fat intake, plus knowing that I should be careful with Pereg because of her own medication, but really did not want to waste the fatty bits if possible.

Unfortunately when my neighbour telephoned me yesterday from wherever she was, and asked if I wanted this, that or t'other I honestly did not understand half of what she was saying [I never do but then neither do a lot of people ] so I ended up with a couple of kilos of these turkey tails.

I cannot complain though as for less than it would have cost me for a taxi to even take me downtown, let alone come back - and that is without having bought anything, I somehow have ended up with rather a lot of complete chicken wings, gizzards, plus these turkey tails.

But Pereg is doing fine B"H and I am fairly sure that she is slowly losing the weight she managed to pile on since she was put on medication, and the raw meat is definitely keeping her satiated.

Most of the time.

I think I need to look out for another freezer...
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 09:01 AM
I always cut them off when we have a chicken (and the legs and wings) and share it between the dogs there and then, they like it