Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 04:21 PM

shower / bathing puppys

How often do you bath or shower your puppy?

The vet told me 2-3 times a year but Georgie seems to stink and he gets dried mud on his underneath. Ive bathed him twice in the last 2 wks. His skin and coat seem to be fine though.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 04:24 PM
I let the mud dry when my dog has been out, then brush it out of her coat with a bristled brush!
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 04:32 PM
My mum bathes her little dog practically after every walk!

I do try to tell her but she dosent seem to listen that it is bad for the dogs coat to bathe them too much.

Hevvur's advice is right, just brush your dog down when the mud is dry, it will flake off and the 'dog' smell should go and his coat will look good as new!

Im sure there are some enviromentally friendly sprays you can get to ged rid of the wet dog small if it persists.
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 04:35 PM
We've never bathed our dogs, They are self cleaning xxx
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I let the mud dry when my dog has been out, then brush it out of her coat with a bristled brush!
i do the same. i only bath them when they have been in fox poo or cat poo
Whitaker1579
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2006, 05:04 PM
I wouldent reccomend bathing to often, especialy a puppy. Because every time you bath them you are taking all of there natural oil's out. Which not only can leave them feeling cold, but can also dull there coat.

Like others have mentioned above, when he gets dirty, let it dry and then brush it out and leave bathing for when he's found that fox muck!!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 05:25 PM
I have a white dog and she goes yellow if after a while but still I only bath her 6 times a year maybe as for the smell I buy a dog spray, it smells like marzipan much better than dirty dog
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 07:24 AM
I don't bathe my lot at all. they have a good swim in the lake most days though... so i suppose they are self cleaning also.. however i do run a small grooming service and shampoo the dogs that come to me every ten weeks or so.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 07:28 AM
I have just bought some doggy wipes from Pets At Home. I don't want to bathe Willow more than 3 times a year so these I hope will come in handy for when she gets a bit smelly or dirty (which is inevitable in our garden)
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 07:30 AM
If my JR has been in the sea I shower her with lukewarm water-NO SHAMPOO. Same for mud- warm water will remove most muck without stripping oils from the skin Only used puppy shampoo twice in her 3 years
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >