Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skullzz
New Member!
Female 

29-07-2014, 02:31 AM

Schutzhund..where to start?

I currently own a 1 year old Rottweiler that I would like to start training for Schutzhund....but I have no idea where to start. I live in a rural area of Northeastern Pa and am having a hard time finding a trainer. Does anyone know of any trainers on the east coast? I would be willing to travel up to a point. Thanks in advance for replies
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Hello! This is a UK based website, and an extremely small percentage of members are American. You'll not get many recommendations from most people here because of that. You can check some search engines, and I'll do that as well to try and help you.

Shyloh will need a medical check to ensure her hips and legs etc. are strong enough for the program, and a temperament evaluation as well most likely. I'm from GA, so I'm too far from you, but I'll certainly do some checks for you to see if I can help.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-07-2014, 10:20 AM
You could have a look here and see if you can track somewhere down ( geography not my strong point)

http://www.dvgamerica.com
skullzz
New Member!
Female 

29-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Hello! This is a UK based website, and an extremely small percentage of members are American. You'll not get many recommendations from most people here because of that. You can check some search engines, and I'll do that as well to try and help you.

Shyloh will need a medical check to ensure her hips and legs etc. are strong enough for the program, and a temperament evaluation as well most likely. I'm from GA, so I'm too far from you, but I'll certainly do some checks for you to see if I can help.
Thank you so very much mjfromga! That is very kind of you! I will have Shyloh's hips and elbows checked at age 2, which is the standard time frame for the breed if I am not mistaken. I have no intentions of breeding but I feel those tests are important. She will have her temperament tested at 18 months...as is minimum age required! Thanks again!!!
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2014, 03:46 AM
Here's another link to help you:
http://www.dvgamerica.com/whatis.html

I'm in NJ so I'm close by. I had looked into Schutzhund with both dogs. Unfortunately Sophie is a neurotic mess around strange dogs and large groups of people. Callie would be perfect in every way except his chest weighing him down makes him clumsy with jumping.

Best of luck to you though, many people are involved nationwide.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2014, 05:23 AM
Seems that website they offered is your best option. I wish you luck. I looked into it as well, but Nigredo has mild HD so he's a no go, and Jade is over 11 and moderately arthritic with a snarky temperament.