View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Poor you and daughter. My girls haven't had them (touch wood) since they started secondary, but primary was an absolute nightmare, it was a constant battle! The best comb I found was a nitty gritty comb, about £9 in Asda, utterly fantastic at getting ahold of even the teensiest ones
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2012, 10:32 AM
I found tea tree quite effective also a product called X-it was excellent,thankfully mine haven't had them for a while now,this thread is an old one of mine LOL

Lizzie won't let me anywhere near her hair now,she has to go to the hairdressers
kimberleythomas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2012, 02:12 PM
my d/d caught them loads in reception and yr 1 not had them since thought fingers crossed. I have one the the nitty gritty combs and use loads of conditioner
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
yep we need to bring back, ( nurse nora the nit explorer) lol. my gransons school has had an outbreak of worms. he was horrified to think that big garden worms were coming out of his bottom. he was relieved after we explained what they are.
Aaah the joys of primary teaching - I've had both over the years (I will never again tie wet shoelaces when it hasn't been raining...) - quite impressed I did a decade before I ended up catching nits though - and I'm afraid, stuff the conditioner when I did - I went for full-on chemical armageddon (but it was my own head so I'm allowed to). I still keep a nit comb on the shower caddy and give my hair the once-over when I'm putting conditioner through it.

I don't thinK I ever had them as a kid - both because of Nitty Nora and I just don't think they like my type of hair for some reason (not that I'm knocking this fact!)

The one that always gets me are these early years teachers with long flowing locks that they never ever have tied up - my hair's tied up to within an inch of its life whenever I'm in a school!
Blonderosie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2012, 06:59 PM
A friend of mine swears by tea tree oil She puts a few drops in water and uses it as the final rinse after shampooing their hair. Her children have NEVER had head lice
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Our kids get them regularly, picked up from school. Some parents seem to just let them be!!

I'm looking forward to the day that some pharmaceuticals company to develop a spot on "Frontline style" treatment for kids!
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2012, 10:23 PM
well, wasn't that just tempting fate My eldest daughter has somehow picked the damned things up, can't think where from. So desperately trying to get rid before she goes to the hairdresses on friday to get her hair styled for her party on fri night. Infuriating!!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2012, 06:43 AM
Try Hedrin if you are struggling to get rid.It is a silicon based product that coats the lice and suffocates them.It does not smell like the other treatments and is non organo phosphate based so less likely to cause ill effects.really easy to apply and seems to have a better success rate than other products to which the lice have built up resistance.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Best thing for getting rid of them........soak dry hair in lenor and use nit comb to comb through every day for at least a week. Hair ends up lovely and shiny and soft and the little ******s cant cling to the hair. Nothing more satisfying that breaking their backs between your nails when you find a juicy big one..........ok, I admit it, I'm weird!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3