Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 07:47 PM

Pretty Urgent - what to give for sickness and diarrhoea

Hi guys...had to close early to pick up OH he has vomited about 10 times since 4pm and has REALLY bad diarrhoea...

He is lying in bed all pale with dark circles around his eyes shivering and shaking...

Im getting worried!

Is there anything i can give him to alleviate it....

He is sipping water constantly but its coming back up 5mins later when he vomits...

Any ideas?

Alex
xx
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Oh dear, sounds like a horrid bug your OH has picked up, or could it be food poisoning

When ever I was ill my mum always used to make up some Arrowroot for me, and it always did the trick, and I gave it to my kids as well and always worked worked with them as well. Other than that I have no idea, but I'd keep a close eye on your OH incase he becomes dehydrated, hope he feels better soon.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 07:53 PM
There is a nasty vomiting bug doing the rounds at the moment..my Dad and Aunt have both come down with it since Sunday.

Not much you can do but try to keep him hydrated. If he can't keep much water down, sucking on ice cubes will help. You can get rehydration sachets from the chemist but he probably won't be able to manage those until the vomiting stops.

If it is the bug that has been going round, then the symptoms tend to pass fairly quickly but he will be conatgious for a few days so he should stay off work until at least the weekend.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 07:53 PM
I'd honestly call your doctor if it that bad Alex, sounds like poisioning. I hope he is ok. x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Sounds nasty. Immodium is pretty effective, but not sure he's going to keep it down. Try ringing NHS direct for some advice hon. Hope OH feels better soon x
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 07:57 PM
flat lemonade at room temp sipped will replace salt and sugars....If really bad you can take immodium but this will keep any germs inside instead of letting it run it`s course. Depends on if he has to go anywhere. Iy might be worth ringing the docs for advice. They were advising not to visit with the D&V virus, as it was spreading it to other patients.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 08:00 PM
thanks guys...i cant think what may have given him poisoning.... we have eaten the same thing over the past couple of days.... and it came on so suddenly one minute he was fine the next he was feeling quesy and rant to the toilet....

He wont take bicarb to settle his tummy or nibble on anything....

he is in bed under a 15 tog duvet with jumper and tshirt on, pants and sock and a hot water bottle and the heating is on...and he still feels freezing - he is warm to the touch but he says he is cold!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
flat lemonade at room temp sipped will replace salt and sugars....If really bad you can take immodium but this will keep any germs inside instead of letting it run it`s course. Depends on if he has to go anywhere. Iy might be worth ringing the docs for advice. They were advising not to visit with the D&V virus, as it was spreading it to other patients.
will have to nip to asda round the corner - our lemonade is sugar free!

will have to get immodium as well ta!
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Poor thing!!!

I hope he feels better soon and does not share!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Alex, the best thing is flat ginger ale. The ginger settles the tummy and it will provide the same as lemondade with the sugar replacements. My mum has always sworn by it since we were little. Should be able to get Schweppes or Canada Dry at Asda. Trust me, works a treat. Hope he feels better soon.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »