Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
i would aim to breast feed but formula apparently cost about £8-10 per week, nappies are initial outlay and i certainly would make my own baby food not jarred stuff!

but clothes - i know they grow quick but sainsburys and asda baby clothes are really cheap!
My nephew Jake is 10 months old and already in 18 month old clothes.... currently, anything they buy lasts about 2 weeks!!

SIL wanted to breast feed, but couldn't, so baby ended up on formula....
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
My nephew Jake is 10 months old and already in 18 month old clothes.... currently, anything they buy lasts about 2 weeks!!

SIL wanted to breast feed, but couldn't, so baby ended up on formula....
this is why i say aim to breast feed as i know a few people who were heartbroken they couldnt breast feed..
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Oh just to add, the cost increases massively when they start school, pre warning there
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Clair View Post
Oh just to add, the cost increases massively when they start school, pre warning there
yeah i remember the cost of uniforms!!!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 12:11 PM
i would aim to breast feed but formula apparently cost about £8-10 per week, nappies are initial outlay and i certainly would make my own baby food not jarred stuff!

but clothes - i know they grow quick but sainsburys and asda baby clothes are really cheap!
I got most of Myles' clothes from Tesco and the likes and in the Next sale, I found it pointless spending lots on expensive clothes when they outgrow them so quickly!

I also breastfed (it is easier than you think and i'm actually a qualified breastfeeding peer supporter so help is at hand shoud you need any!) and about 80% of the time made my own baby food. I never struggled and I was on a very low income at the time and a single mum, and he never went without and always had more than enough toys and things to do.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 12:12 PM
yeah i remember the cost of uniforms!!!
£10 for a sweater for a 5 year old and £8 for a polo shirt! babies are pennies!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I got most of Myles' clotehs from Tesco and the likes and in the Next sale, I found it pointles spending lots on expensive clothes when they outgrow them so quickly!

I also breastfed (it is easier than you think and i'm actually a qualified breastfeeding peer supporter so help is at hand shoud you need any!) and about 80% of the time made my own baby food. I never struggled and I was on a very low income at the time and a single mum, and he never went without and always had more than enough toys and things to do.
i wanted to double check as babies i suppose are only as expensive as you make them - like why buy timberland boots for a baby! they last a week!!!

also if i have a boy - i will have enough clothes for the first 3 yrs as my friend is saving them incase!!!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 12:15 PM
£10 for a sweater for a 5 year old and £8 for a polo shirt! babies are pennies!
i remember having an argument with the deputy head at our high school - he was insisting we bought a "school" jumper instead of the navy BHS one i had (half the price!)

so i told by all means if he wanted to buy it i would gladly wear it but my mum cant afford it so there!!

they changed the policy so we could just buy the badges after that!!!!!

mum loved me for all of 5 mins when she got the phone call off mr barnes!!!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 12:16 PM
i wanted to double check as babies i suppose are only as expensive as you make them - like why buy timberland boots for a baby! they last a week!!!

also if i have a boy - i will have enough clothes for the first 3 yrs as my friend is saving them incase!!!
Exactly true, the inital outlay is probably about a grand at least if you buy all brand new prams, cots e.t.c but after that it honestly isn't a lot really 'til they get a bit older and start asking for things! lol!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Exactly true, the inital outlay is probably about a grand at least if you buy all brand new prams, cots e.t.c but after that it honestly isn't a lot really 'til they get a bit older and start asking for things! lol!
well my freind has saved her cot, high chair, pram and bottles etc in case we wanted them as she has said she will never have another child! so there isnt that to count for...just car seats, clothing, etc and nappies to buy!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >