Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 03:26 PM

How to recognise a stroke in humans

After the good neighbours threadI thought this would be useful, found it on another site.
Mary

Subject: Stroke Recognition

During a BBQ a woman stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine and had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, She went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Her husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00am, she passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ - had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke perhaps she would be around today.

It only takes a minute to read this-

Recognising a Stroke
A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed an getting to the patient within 3 hours which is tough.

Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

1. *Ask the individual to SMILE - are both sides of the face equal

2. *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS - can they raise both arms equally and easily

3. *Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. . . It is sunny out today)

If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 999 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

Try to remember
Face - smile
Arms - raise
Sentence/Speak - coherently
T ime- Act fast, time is of the essence

It could help save someones life.
Mary
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 03:32 PM
this is an excellent lesson to learn having to recognize someone having a stroke.My son had a stroke when he was born and he was left with a facial palsy he was only 13hrs old when it was recognised since then he has had two more small strokes they say he will out grow these minor strokes his last one was when he was nearly 5 he has just reached his 7th birthday and has not had one since please everyone read what abbymum has put up you never know whos life you will be saving
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

08-01-2006, 03:43 PM
thanks for posting this - I would never have known this at all hopefully it will help others some day
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 05:49 PM
thanx for posting this mary

my papa had a stroke and it was horrible, he was in rehab for months and it took almost a year for his speech to return
he has since passed but its nice to know how to check for these things
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks for posting this. My Mum has had 3 minor strokes during the past 2 yrs. and she said she thought she was going to have one last week when I rang her, as she felt very odd and had to lay down. I will relay this information to her, in the hope that she will ring for an ambulance next time if she recognises any of the abve in herself - if she is able to do so that is! It might be of help to her anyway, so thanks.
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 07:05 PM
thats good to no will remember that thanks
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 08:24 PM
my friends mom died on new years day of a stroke.
Dawn.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

08-01-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm sorry to hear that borderdawn
Jamie.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2006, 06:29 PM
strokes can be very hard to see at times. they hide in drowsy moments and can be as evident as a colapse in a person.small seizures can procede a stroke, the person can become diapharetic in moments. if you don't know what you are looking for they can be easy to miss. strokes can also hide under the muse of heart attacks. alot are found after the fact once even small side effects with trade mark abnormalities. slightly lower side to one part of the lips to obvious facial iregularities. slurred speach. difficultly walking which can be as simple as a slight drag on one leg. many people go undiagnosed as the actualy stroke was not witnessed.

classic symtoms: dry mouth, short period of nonproducitve speech or thought pattern, eyes rolling upward. numb tingly feeling in extremeties.

i am very sorry to hear about your friends Mom, Borderdawn