Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 09:36 PM

Stronger arms

I need some help can anyone suggest exercises to strengten my arms. I do Thai Boxing so I need to strengten my upper body, my legs are pretty strong as I do lots of cycling, I used to ride alot and I do lots of walking, I am thinking of taking up yoga or pilates again for flexability I stopped because I found them boring as anything. I am afraid of water so swimming is out, I will be ordering my punchbag next week so i will be doing lots of bag work.
Thanks
Mary
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-09-2005, 09:37 PM
you can come and carry me around allday you should have strong arms after a week
cliffrbrts
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-09-2005, 09:45 PM
do you do any weight training at the mo, or is it mainly cardio?, for boxing you need to build the tricep more than the bicep this gives more power to the punch. I train in st.albans so am pretty local.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 09:48 PM
take bruno a walk for 2 weeks and you will have arms like a bodybuilder !!

failing that weights - you can start off on baked bean cans and move upwards from there in weight !!
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
you can come and carry me around allday you should have strong arms after a week
Thanks for the offer but I think i will pass.

Cliffrbrts you are pretty local i see you live in Welwyn Garden as well. I was thinking of joining the gym but have no idea which one.
Mary
Ash
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-09-2005, 02:02 AM
Other than Light weight work outs.

Solid spurts, punching the bag as quick as you can for 1 or 2 minute durations, then 1 minute breathers and then back into it will do wonders.

Also something that I thought about after I gave up Boxing was those wrist weights.

Training with them all the time, and then when the time comes to fight do not use them..

Only down side I see to this is, Lacking power in the ring because relying on the weight of the weighs when training, if you get what I am trying to say..

Good Luck and Take Care

Ash...
cliffrbrts
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-09-2005, 03:19 PM
depends on what type of gym? do you want a cardio orientated gym or free weights?
pm me if you want.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Press-ups
Weights
Swimming
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm training to be a yoga teacher and in my second year of studies. I have to say after doing years & years of aerobics, weights, step, running, you name it i tried it then discovered 'Iyengar' yoga and found it very hard work and physically demanding without being boring. Hatha yoga to me was too slow and boring but have to say I'm the strongest Ive ever been and have so much more stamina.
I also do Pilates but think it depends on the teacher rather than the type of workout you do.
Let us know what you decide on, wished you lived near me I would have you built up in no time.
cliffrbrts
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-09-2005, 03:55 PM
just off to gym now to inflict some more pain on myself.
shoulders and arms today. they do say diet is 75% of your training regime,
also bieng habitual helps sometimes its tough to motivate yourself even when it becomes a habit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >