Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
Hi Rosebud, I am so sorry to read about the awful time you have had, but with time I am sure things will get a bit easier for you as its early days yet and our bodies are amazing at healing themselves. Do our nerves not heal at all? Where I bashed the side of my face when I fell the tingly nerve on my cheekbone has now settled down but my teeth on that one side are still numb, so I think that may be permanent I will tell my dentist when I go for my check up.
not sure re nerves healing and they were evasive as it is their fault. chatted with a few others in the hours wait in x ray and later and this is not usual after six weeks.one lady at the county fair has a lump like one of mine and said she had pain for six months.

the way the bones mend is awesome. but soft tissue is a different matter.cannot pick anything up yet even.

one day i might manage to cut my toe nails!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-05-2014, 07:45 PM
They would have been able to pick it up on the x ray if your bones were thinning, thats how I found out when I broke my back, till then I was fine, well I thought I was, and I was only 55 at the time and it never occurred to me, particularly as I broke my wrist a few years prior to that and there was nothing picked up then.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
They would have been able to pick it up on the x ray if your bones were thinning, thats how I found out when I broke my back, till then I was fine, well I thought I was, and I was only 55 at the time and it never occurred to me, particularly as I broke my wrist a few years prior to that and there was nothing picked up then.
thankfully no sign of osteoporosis here for me and the bones themselves have knitted and healed.

folk are so kind though! i get the shopping packed back in the trolley or boxed at the checkout and they find me a strong young man to take it to the car...could get used to this
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2014, 04:59 PM
OP how is it going? How are you doing? When is your next hospital appointment?
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
OP how is it going? How are you doing? When is your next hospital appointment?
Hi, well this blooming plaster cast is driving me mad! Its rubbing around the wrist area in about 3 places and feels really sore. Took a sleeping pill last night as the night before didn't get much sleep and woke feeling very down and depressed.
I had to ring the hosp to get an appointment as nothing arrived in the post and I am going tomorrow afternoon (Friday). They said I should get confirmation of the appointment in the post and it has not arrived, so I will in the morning and get confirmation as we don't want a wasted journey.
I have been is this cast for just over 2 weeks now and I was in the back-slab for 10 days. it should be 6-8 weeks altogether, so I'm not sure if they include that 10 days or not? I hope so as that makes it nearly 4 weeks!!

How are you doing, have you noticed any improvement?
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2014, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
Hi, well this blooming plaster cast is driving me mad! Its rubbing around the wrist area in about 3 places and feels really sore. Took a sleeping pill last night as the night before didn't get much sleep and woke feeling very down and depressed.
I had to ring the hosp to get an appointment as nothing arrived in the post and I am going tomorrow afternoon (Friday). They said I should get confirmation of the appointment in the post and it has not arrived, so I will in the morning and get confirmation as we don't want a wasted journey.
I have been is this cast for just over 2 weeks now and I was in the back-slab for 10 days. it should be 6-8 weeks altogether, so I'm not sure if they include that 10 days or not? I hope so as that makes it nearly 4 weeks!!

How are you doing, have you noticed any improvement?
Time is passing each day... slip something soft where it is rubbing.

and yes sleeping tabs can create hangovers. i used to use otc antihistamines eg piriton instead.
if nothing in the post, phone them and if they say you have an appointmrent, just go.

no, things are as bad with me. but this is not normal fracture stuff so will not be like this for you. be assured of .that

nearly 8 weeks since the fall but only 4 since it went sideways ,literally and nothing to be done except wait and do what i can.

good luck today..
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Hi Rosebud, was just on here and was wondering how your wrist is healing?
I had a bit of a panic attack at hospital in waiting room and this made me feel scared about going again. While I was waiting for my next and last appointment I was at home when I thought I was starting a migraine and had a black line in my left eye and then flashing around the edges of my eye. I was really scared and my nerves were already in shreds. I went to the opticians and he confirmed it was PVD (Posterior Vitreous detachment) and he dilated my pupils and thankfully my retina is ok, no holes or tears. I am shortsighted and apparently this is fairly common in shortsighted people from 65 onwards. I am only 59! So scary. I was in such a state I had to take some tranquillisers to get to the optician!!!
Now, thank goodness after a bout of feeling depressed I am feeling a bit more back to normal.
Its strange but my cocker spaniel died last june 2013 and I thought I had coped with it fairly well, but after everything that has happened this year it seemed to make me miss her sooooo much all over again and I think that's why I got depressed too. We have another dog now but my Lily was so special to me.
Coming back to my wrist, they offered me physio but I was so fed up with hospitals that I have been doing the exercises myself and my wrist has greatly improved. The only problem I seem to have is that the ligament seems to have torn in my little finger, I don't know if I did it when I fell or if the doctor did it when he pulled my bones, but I can't grip with it. But it doesn't matter too much as I can now do most things! Although still not ready to use this hand to walk the dogs as one of my dogs is so strong and pulls like mad. My hubby has to come out on all the dog walks with me, although I do do take our little dog Katie out on her own sometimes but always use my left hand!
How are you coping now? Is there anything you still cannot manage?
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-09-2014, 09:56 PM
My boyfriend has his arm broken just above the wrist getting kicked at rugby ( by one of his own team oops!) has had a weakness in that wrist since ( when trying to do daft weights at the gym). I bought him one or those magnet sports wrist bands and he swears by it. It looks just like an elastic acted friendship bracelet but he assures me it helps with the mild ache and weakness. Think it was about £18
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2015, 05:05 AM
Over a year on and my wrist is working fine although badly deformed. I have regained all the strength and there are just a couple of sideways movements I cannot do but that does mot matter. Looks very dramatic! Apparently that hospital has a terrible reputation for making a mess of things. next time ( please not!) I will opt for the better hospital in the other direction. But at my age I am not vain and function matters more than appearance. I never went back to the hospital by the way. Enough is enough
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2015, 05:27 AM
Oh twigs hope you feel better really soon. Touch wood never broken anything but had plenty of falls off horses and a ladder oh and bowled over by dogs, although painful not as bad as you. By the way I was born in Margate.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5