View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 10:47 PM
sorry to hear that things havent got better.
I think if it was me, I would write a letter, not an email or anything, a proper letter, explaining how this has made you feel, and that ultimately their actions are going to end up with them missing out on things that they probably want from their own pigheadedness. ( grandbabys etc)

Not an accusing letter, just a last chance letter, it can t be misread, just state how you feel and that if things are to improve you either have to draw a line under and start again or simply not have contact.

I just cannot imagine how a parent can give up there relationship with a child so easily over something so silly.
I really feel for you, especially as having two kids I know how much my mum means to me, and how much of a help she is, and whilst she does sometimes say stuff that makes me want to scream, I know she always wants the best for me, and we can shout at each other and then get past it.

HUgs I wish it was simpler for you, I really do, being pregnant aswell makes it all the harder as all those extra hormones floating around dont help trying to be relaxed and calm
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
sorry to hear that things havent got better.
I think if it was me, I would write a letter, not an email or anything, a proper letter, explaining how this has made you feel, and that ultimately their actions are going to end up with them missing out on things that they probably want from their own pigheadedness. ( grandbabys etc)

Not an accusing letter, just a last chance letter, it can t be misread, just state how you feel and that if things are to improve you either have to draw a line under and start again or simply not have contact.

I just cannot imagine how a parent can give up there relationship with a child so easily over something so silly.
I really feel for you, especially as having two kids I know how much my mum means to me, and how much of a help she is, and whilst she does sometimes say stuff that makes me want to scream, I know she always wants the best for me, and we can shout at each other and then get past it.

HUgs I wish it was simpler for you, I really do, being pregnant aswell makes it all the harder as all those extra hormones floating around dont help trying to be relaxed and calm
Thanks hun xxx a letter is something i've considered, i write to my nanna alot, she loves receiving letters from us bless her, and am sending her one today with some piccies from the weekend. I might try to write mum one, but i don't know if i'm ready to, i still feel very (excuse my language/stars) "well f*** ya then". So i might wait.

She's always been pigheaded. With the baby, even before this happened she would have only been interfering, so i really don't feel much is lost there on my side - it's their loss, their first grandchild. She's bad enough with the dogs, and she did once tell me "Don't expect me to babysit like a free childminder all the time!" We live 120 miles apart so it was never going to happen anyway! She's hard work when she stays at our house, and now we have no spare bedroom as the big spare will become the nursery, well, only the 3rd box room which is a study and full of books.

Notice I talk about my mum mostly, not my dad lol, but my dad is as bad, follows her lead.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 04:42 AM
Hi Lucie

I hope you are ok. How long are you into your pregnancy?

You know, I have been reading your thread again.

I am going to be a grandma in 4.6 weeks time, and we have just been to buy her bedroom furniture. Your mum doesn't know what she is missing out on!! Please email your mum this reply if you like, because it's the happiest time of your life (if you let it).

If you need anyone to chat with, just pm me. I really feel for you. I had my twins in Hong Kong. My parents were in the UK and didn't see the girls until they were 9 months old (only photos) & i am showing my age. No web cams 23 years ago!!!

I wish your mum would realize

Love n hugs

Debbie x
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
Hi Lucie

I hope you are ok. How long are you into your pregnancy?

You know, I have been reading your thread again.

I am going to be a grandma in 4.6 weeks time, and we have just been to buy her bedroom furniture. Your mum doesn't know what she is missing out on!! Please email your mum this reply if you like, because it's the happiest time of your life (if you let it).

If you need anyone to chat with, just pm me. I really feel for you. I had my twins in Hong Kong. My parents were in the UK and didn't see the girls until they were 9 months old (only photos) & i am showing my age. No web cams 23 years ago!!!

I wish your mum would realize

Love n hugs

Debbie x
Aw Debbie bless ya, thank you xxx I'm 27 weeks, just heading into the final 3 months now We've just started doing the nursery this week

Aw congratulations again on becoming a grandma, wow, not long now, is it a boy or a girl? We're having a boy

Yeah i know they are missing out, but they've chosen to, not forgetting this is all selfishly down to them still being resentful of me and my hubby having the wedding we wanted, not the wedding they wanted, when the original big white wedding fell through. It's the first time I ever stood up for what I wanted in my life against them really, and look how they've reacted..and they just get worse.

Until I get any sort of apology, explanation, their congratulations/blessing on the wedding and baby I've decided not to make another move to mend things. It stressed me out the other weekend, and it was on my mind all week, for all the wrong reasons - how angry i was at them.

Being selfish - This pregnancy is possibly the happiest time of my life, they've had their time, I'm not losing out, i'm having a lovely pregnancy, (off to Scotland on our last doggy holiday break next week before babys here!) i'm not having any complications, all is healthy, i'm happy, hubbys happy... and i'm just going to focus on us. Ultimately I don't need my parents to be involved, i've got good friends and even amazing neighbours to support me, lots of local groups to take the baby to, an all terrain pram to take the baby dog walking heehee, maternity pay and have saved up, hubby has a good job, the baby will be going into nursery 3 days a week after 9/12 months when I get back to work... Whereas they're going to be sat at home (my mums retired) feeling what?? But all brought on by themselves.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2011, 08:06 AM
You have the right attitude hunni. I think if you back right off, your parents will eventually come around. Let them do the running. Enjoy your last few weeks of pregnancy. xx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys xxx

I went! I shouldn't have!

My sister and her fella talked me into it the evening before. I wanted to see my sister, and I wanted to see my nanna, and that was a pleasure.

Unfortunately my parents left the room when i got my wedding photos out to show my nanna. They've never asked/seen anything about the wedding to this day. They didn't ask after Paul, me or the baby. they don't even know the due date. They were cold, when i was talking about our baby's chosen name to my nanna my mum suggested another name , that was the only thing she mentioned about the baby. I went from actually feeling a little bit sorry for them and their problem, to upset and angry.

I've totally had it with them, at least that confirmed that.

To add to it my mum informed me she's selling a load of wedding stuff i bought for our wedding last year that fell through on ebay, something i've not got round to doing (it was stored in their garage) - including 8 massive birdcages I paid £250 for, presume she's pocketing the money.. I doubt it's to buy anything for the baby.

My parents aren't awful, they're decent, hard-working professionals, they don't drink, they look after themselves, they're doggy people! Yes, they're snobby but underneath this 'show' they were always good people. So why on earth they've turned into people like these i don't know.
Cant you find some form of mediation and try to find out the cause of this...sometimes pride can build a huge wall between people and it gets to a point no one will back down.

Maybe they are hurting and just cant see a way through it , so they put up defences and act the way they are doing.

I dont know, it all depends on whether you would like to have a relationship with your parents or not, you never know , it might be a way forward.

The most important thing now it to take care of yourself, but maybe when the baby is born,it might open a door for you all to walk through.
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2011, 10:57 AM
I have to agree with Jackbox, pride can build walls between people. Your parents are in the wrong but please don't loose touch with them all together. Send photos and letters of the baby even if you have no response. At least you will know you have been the bigger person. It's sad for them because they will end up lonley and will miss out on lots of wonderful times with their new grandchild. I wish you lots of luck with your new family, don't let your parents spoil your happiness, but don't let them make you feel bitter either. Good luck
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Hi Lucie,

I have just been to their house today. They wouldn't let me round until it was sorted !!! They moved in last weekend.

It is lovely, the babies room is gorgeous. They are having a little girl. They haven't yet chosen a name. Steven doesn't like the 'modern' names. My daughter in law likes Poppy. Steven doesn't. I think he prefers Molly, but we have a dog with that name.......

We keep laughing at him... He is on leave from the army at the minute... and Karla keeps saying that the neighbours think that he is a scumbag on the dole !!!! He said today that he is going to wear his uniform and march up and down the street.

The baby is due in 4.5 weeks. Anything could happen from now. He has to go back in 2 weeks, then he will have to fly up the motorway from Colchester when the happy event begins.

We are having (his two sisters have arranged it) a baby shower on Saturday. I have bought a plaster of paris kit for her bump!! and then one for the baby's feet and hands when she is born. (just a keepsake). I have ordered some beautiful cup cakes for the occasion. We are gonna have some fun.

Have you chosen a name for your little boy yet? I bet you are blooming now, arn't you?

Pregnancy suits some, Karla is beautiful.

Let me know how you go on hun.

x x
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5