Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2005, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=NatalieS]
Originally Posted by fredsdoghouse

Our fish and lobsters always get eaten, we don't catch anything unless we can eat it, so we leave the Baracuda etc alone because they're not so good. We have three restaurants so anything that we don't eat ourselves normally ends up as a special in one of them.

We're going to an open water spearfishing competition at the end of July in Cape Hatteras, NC, that will be a big challenge. We'll be using spear guns where as now we use a pole spear and we'll be fishing for tuna and wahoo (big game fish). We've been practising our deeper dives as we need to be comfortable at around 50ft. At the moment our average dive is around 35/40ft so still a way to go! The OH is out diving as I write this, fish for supper!!!
Wish i was there you get lobster in that depth ? in the med you have to go 45-50 meter before you see one
NatalieS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2005, 06:37 PM
We have a different type of Lobster here - it's called a Spiny Lobster, you can get them shallower than that too. In fact we've found them before in water that's about waist high (although you can't catch them there - you have to be at least a mile off shore to take lobster and then it's only two per license). They don't have the big pincers at the front but are covered in little spikes instead.

It's typical now though, we're seeing loads of them but it's the off season for them and we're not allowed to catch any. There's no lobster fishing between 31st March and 1st Sept. so they get a good chance to breed.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by NatalieS
We have a different type of Lobster here - it's called a Spiny Lobster, you can get them shallower than that too. In fact we've found them before in water that's about waist high (although you can't catch them there - you have to be at least a mile off shore to take lobster and then it's only two per license). They don't have the big pincers at the front but are covered in little spikes instead.

It's typical now though, we're seeing loads of them but it's the off season for them and we're not allowed to catch any. There's no lobster fishing between 31st March and 1st Sept. so they get a good chance to breed.
Thank you Natalie that is very interesting (for me) you have strong laws there that is very good need them maybe one day i will manage to go there heard a lot of it
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7