View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
busybee100
New Member!
Female 

02-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Elbow wound keeps opening up - is this the end?

Hi. We have much loved GSD who is 12 and in general good health apart from an elbow wound which started just as a sore earlier this summer. It has now deteriorated massively despite regular vet visits and daily applications of manuka honey and silver cream and of course it has been covered in a dressing. But it still got infected and got worse. The vet felt it wasn't healing properly so strongly recommended an op. Unfortunately this has created a much larger wound which is much harder (impossible?) to heal. Normal stitches didnt work and now the vet is using a more secure stitch as his final suggestion. It seems he didnt have any other ideas on how this larger wound could knit together. He is saying that if the secure stitches dont work that will be the end. As you can appreciate we are panicking as our dog is very loved. We've tried to do the best for him by following the vet's advice. I've looked online and it seems that even secure stitches dont work often in this type of wound because it is right over the elbow joint. At the moment the vet is using a doughnut dressing and bandages. We try to limit his walking to just around the house and outside for toilet (there is only one step). He is eating fine and seems reasonably happy in himself despite months of treatment. Before the op he was going for short walks and had a good quality of life and we want to get him back to that if we can. He is a very happy, easy going dog. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for anything else we can try to keep the wound together? A plaster cast splint is out of the question apparently as infections can build up quickly in this type of wound. Has anyone else known a dog recover from this type of wound? Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome as its terrifying that on Friday he returns to the vets (he goes every 3 days for dressing to be changed) and if the secure stitches have popped then the vet is going to suggest putting him to sleep. He has already discussed this with my partner who is completely heart broken. Sorry for the long post.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Oh Rachel, I have no suggestions I just wanted to say how sorry I am to read your post and I hope that your doggy's elbow improves. You have obviously done as much as you can for him.
Keep us updated please.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2016, 10:57 AM
You poor things What a distressing time for you. It is good that your dog is not upset by all the vet visits and dressing changes, so that is one positive. Sadly, I have no experience of such a wound, so can't offer advice on other methods of helping it to heal and reducing the risk of infection. Could you possibly get a second opinion from another vet?

I guess, at the end of the day, the most important thing is the happiness of your lovely dog. If he is happy and not in pain then could the dressings go on indefinitely? If not, then I think it is better to let him go peacefully and surrounded by his family - but, in your shoes, I would also be searching for an alternate option.

So sorry I can't be of more help.

What is your dog called? Do you have any photos to share with us?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Thinking more about this - have you tried any types of wound healing cream? I remember when one of our working dogs ripped a gash in her side and the vet gave us healing cream which did aid the healing process.

Something like Dermisol?

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-su...0g-tubes-p-744
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2016, 11:10 AM
Also found this article which may give you some further ideas ...

https://virtuavet.wordpress.com/2011...my-dogs-elbow/
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Is this a pressure sore wound?

If so, we had great success by keeping the wound dry, cleaning with saline solution daily and drying thoroughly and bandaging. It took a few months but it did heal.

Also, encourage resting on a soft surface, we bought loads of foam, flat mattresses and encouraged their use
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2016, 02:51 PM
I swear by Tea Tree Oil - the best antiseptic there is and 100% natural. Kills viruses and bacteria stone dead by punching holes in their cell walls.
busybee100
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Thank you so much for your replies and suggestions. I didnt get the email notification that I had replies but I just logged on and was so pleased to see so many kind words. Just to give you an update, the stitch didnt work. But I had been looking online and found info about the K Class 4 laser. As luck would have it, the vets have one on trial (it arrived the same day as his visit) and our dog will be one of the first to try it. Here is a link in case anyone else is interested
http://www.k-laser.com/pet-owners
We are also using instrasite gel as recommended by the vet to try to get it to heal but the post-op wound is relatively deep and wide and over the elbow joint so its a huge challenge. I'm also looking into other things like the Assisi Loop. Thanks again for all your replies and info x