Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-10-2016, 06:50 AM

To Speyed or not?

My 16 month old is due to be Speyed next week I do not intend to breed from her what are your views on Speying,
Thanks.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2016, 07:42 AM
I have male dogs so not the best person to voice an opinion, but I had bitches in the past. I would definitely spey unless I wanted to breed from them. Unlike with castration, speying does not seem to affect character or temperament, or cause weight gain.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-10-2016, 07:52 AM
I have two entire bitches and an entire male I have no plans to breed ever and I prefer not to meddle with their hormones. Spaying does affect everything exactly the same as boys, the only advantage is it prevents pyo. I've ensured I'm familiar with the signs of pyo so I'm watchful.
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-10-2016, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I have two entire bitches and an entire male I have no plans to breed ever and I prefer not to meddle with their hormones. Spaying does affect everything exactly the same as boys, the only advantage is it prevents pyo. I've ensured I'm familiar with the signs of pyo so I'm watchful.
Please what is PYO
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Pyometra. Very nasty and a potential killer.

There's plenty of info on the net.

It's the reason I had my girl spayed - sort of prevention rather than cure
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-10-2016, 09:17 AM
Thanks All.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-10-2016, 09:51 AM
I have two of my older girls, spayed, one just recently. Her sister was done a few years ago due to a womb infection, and it had a dreadful effect on her coat and her weight, my other girl just recently done (aged nearly 11) was due to heavy prolonged and frequent seasons, otherwise it wouldn't have happened. My youngest 3, will be left entire unless a medical reason (as per the older 2) dictates it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2016, 10:38 PM
Gosh I'm very out of date so I will shut up! It is well over 30 years since I had a bitch, so clearly should not have opened my mouth!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-10-2016, 07:51 AM
Also forgot to mention spaying can cause spay incontinence, fairly easy to treat but does mean being on medication for life.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-10-2016, 07:04 PM
It was with some trepidation that I have recently had my six year old golden retriever spayed. She only ever had a season once a year which never gave her any problem. I decided to have her spayed as this year we have three male puppies in the family. As it would have been another year if I hadn't had her done this year I thought it better to do it this time round rather than wait another year - especially with three maturing male puppies around. The spay surgery was a little more complicated that expected and she was quite poorly (she had a bad reaction to the pain killer - Loxicom, which caused her to have haemmoragic diarrhoea (quite frightening - it had damaged her gut). The vet also thought the surgery had resulted in her having a hernia. She was also very swollen and had to have a lot of fluid drawn off of her. I felt so guilty to have put her through all this, but today she has finally been discharged from the vet and is well on the mend.
I am left still feeling guilty about the whole thing.