Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rileymom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2016, 05:53 PM

Will we know when it's time?

Our dog was diagnosed with bladder cancer in November 2015. Vet gave him til May but thankfully he is still with us. He has slowed down and his appetite goes up and down but has never showed any signs of pain. As we know he is on borrowed time we agonize over knowing if we will know when the end is here and he needs to be put down. Many people have we will know as did his vet but will we really? We have Metacam to give him for pain if needed. So friends can someone please share similar experiences. We are having a very difficult time and the watching and waiting is overwelming. As long as there are no signs of pain or distress we believe that he is not ready to go. Please help!
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2016, 07:21 AM
Yes they do let you know it is time, they give a certain look and you can't really mistake it. My last Afghan was fine until one morning I went to let them out and she just looked at me and I knew.

It is a heartbreaking decision but you know it is the right one at that time. Until then just enjoy your time with him.
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2016, 07:51 AM
I have a goosebump when I read your thread, sorry for your bad situation right now, I feel how much you love your dog, hope he will live longer with your side. Hope the miracle will come to you and he recover faster. I pray for you. You are always in my thought I'm so sad about this, don't know why i'm crying. Keep us updated god bless.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by rileymom View Post
Our dog was diagnosed with bladder cancer in November 2015. Vet gave him til May but thankfully he is still with us. He has slowed down and his appetite goes up and down but has never showed any signs of pain. As we know he is on borrowed time we agonize over knowing if we will know when the end is here and he needs to be put down. Many people have we will know as did his vet but will we really? We have Metacam to give him for pain if needed. So friends can someone please share similar experiences. We are having a very difficult time and the watching and waiting is overwelming. As long as there are no signs of pain or distress we believe that he is not ready to go. Please help!
Hi CJ, I would advise that you stop dwelling on your dogs condition and enjoy each day you have with him otherwise he may pick up on your distress.

My criteria with dogs is this, if they are not in pain, still eating and getting some enjoyment from being here it is 'not time'.
Very often when a dog has had enough of life it will stop eating, lose interest in everything and be reluctant to move from its bed. You will know when it is time..
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2016, 04:41 PM
I agree with what other people have said. You will know. How old is the dog?

I had a Golden Retriever with cancer and she was only 6. We knew it was time for her when she no longer wanted to do the things she used to enjoy. We did not want to prolong her suffering so she was put down. It was a very difficult decision. Take care.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Just enjoy each day you have with your dog.take loads of pics.gentle walks.they will let you know.we had to take Ben to the vets a while back,so I know the uncertainness of it all.
Gentle strokes to your baby.x
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-08-2016, 07:56 PM
When the time is right - you will both know xx

If I could find my post about letting Skye go I would share x