Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
suzcar729
New Member!
Female 

13-08-2016, 02:32 AM

My dog's back leg is causing him to whimper

The other day I picked up my dog while I was sitting in my car to move him and he let out a help and started whimpering. I thought maybe he pulled a muscle. After 5 minutes he stopped crying and everything seemed fine. The rest of the day he was totally fine. But now everyday when I take him out he occassionally whimpers when he is going down the stairs and he holds his back leg up. Then a few minutes later he is fine again. I plan to take him to the Vet Monday since this has happened a few times already. Wondering what it could be and do I need to take him to an emergency animal hospital tonight? Right now he is walking totally fine. Could it be something serious? Funds are an issue right now, so I really would prefer to wait till Monday.
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2016, 03:55 AM
Ask your vet about this because they have a perfect knowledge how to treat this kind of problem in dogs.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2016, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't bother with the emergency vet tbh just take him to your usual vet on Monday. It could be anything so I won't speculate but he's managed on it all week another couple of days shouldn't be an issue.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by suzcar729 View Post
The other day I picked up my dog while I was sitting in my car to move him and he let out a help and started whimpering. I thought maybe he pulled a muscle. After 5 minutes he stopped crying and everything seemed fine. The rest of the day he was totally fine. But now everyday when I take him out he occassionally whimpers when he is going down the stairs and he holds his back leg up. Then a few minutes later he is fine again. I plan to take him to the Vet Monday since this has happened a few times already. Wondering what it could be and do I need to take him to an emergency animal hospital tonight? Right now he is walking totally fine. Could it be something serious? Funds are an issue right now, so I really would prefer to wait till Monday.
Hi Suzanne I agree with Trouble, if your dog does not appear to be in constant pain he should be ok with this kind of problem until Monday rather than needing to visit the emergency vet.

Until then I would suggest resting the leg as much as you can so short walks only/no jumping up/no stairs if possible carry him (I see he is quite a small breed). This will give any muscular problem a chance to heal and help the vet whos first cause of action will be resting the leg.

Best not to speculate about the cause, it could be many things.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Any update?
clivwill
New Member!
Male 

19-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Dog Whimpers when they are lonely, scared or in pain. It could be a strained muscle. If the pet is not in constant pain. You can wait til monday. Just cut back on all hyped up activities until after the vet visit.