View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2005, 07:22 AM

What to look for in new pc

Got to get a new pc, old ones a bit of an antique & was wondering what should I be looking for? I`ve got a flat screen already, would like a cordless keyboard, least wires the better!!
Whats xp like & is a scanner necessary? I`d like to do copies of cds/dvds etc so any advise please
Christine
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2005, 10:15 AM
I have a cordless mouse and keyboard they are brilliant and a lot easier to use if you want to copy dvd's etc you will need to purchase a dvd writer if you pop along to your nearest computer shop they will let you know whats available, i have xp proffesional as my bruv built my pc and ive had no problems and quite like all the added bits you get with it.

I myself have a scanner to scan my pics straight on to computer so unless you take a lot of pics they arent neccesary as my friend has one and has never used it.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi,
I have heard that the wireless keyboards and mice eat batteries for breakfast, but that might have just been the old ones, I would enquire before buying. I use XP home edition and find it great, the best version of windows since win 98 for sure.

Ian
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2005, 10:35 AM
the case dosenīt matter it is whatīs in it what matters, donīt let them talk you into it when the case is a nice colour the best system today is windows xp profesional and if you buy one make sure it is possible to add to it or update hardware a lot of these cheap offers are old after 6 mounths wireless mouse and keyboard are very handy but as somebody said ( i think Hoggett )they eat batteries
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2005, 11:11 AM
You can get moice that come with a recharging dock whichh is very useful. Whether you can get rechargable keyboards I'm not sure. I will disagree with Fred in regards to XP. XP Home is far better for the majority of users since it's harder to leave things running that don't need to be running. XP Pro is only needed if you are n a corporate network imo.

As Sambo said you'll need a DVD writer to burn DVD's, you'll need another DVD drive (doesn't need to be a writer though) if you want to copy DVD's.

Scanners are handy but I wouldn't say it was a necessity. Yo can easily get a scanner later if you need one. Processor wise personally I would choose a Intel P4 (not Celeron though). Get as much RAM as possible (at least 512MB) and a decent sized HD (although most people would find it hard to fill more than 80GB)

Graeme
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Hi Graeme, I totally agree with you, concerning the processor and ram.

Ian
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 11:23 AM
I agree about XP home edition, I use it and that's all you need as a home user and I like it alot.

get as much processor speed, hard drive and memory as you can for you budget...the bigger the numbers next to these details the better is what you need to think! So get as much for the money you have to spend as possible...

Budget pc's now come with at least 80gb hard drive, 256mb, and 2800 speed processors and these are around the Ģ400 mark, they will also come with cd/dvd burners which is what you want for copying stuff...Lots come with all in one printers/scanners and faxes so most times you don't need a separate scanner, I would go for one of these and they are not very expensive.

Just have a look at as many pc's as you can that fit your price range and you will soon start to pick up on the specifications and soon realise what you are looking for.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2005, 11:48 AM
I don't know if i should be posting anything in this thread, as I don't use a PC at all (I'm a Mac user), but, as the present iBook laptop is showing signs of senescence, I've an idea of what I'd like to replace it (the big factor is, unfortunately, money supply!).

OK, I'd go for the new Mac G5 dual processor, which works at an unbelievable speed (something like 5 GHz, but I'm not certain), but this machine clocks in at over Ģ2500.

Scanner - yes (good for storing things like job applications or any kind of filled-in official form - it helps to know what you've said!)
CD rewriter, definitely
DVD rewriter - very handy
Cordless K/B - dunno if there's a Mac one (Mac K/Bs have additional programmable functions, at least, my big G3 has). BTW, does anyone know if a cordless K/B will run on rechargeable batteries?
Cordless mouse - dunno. Could be useful. I have an optical mouse now, and it's better than a standard mouse. This laptop has an integral trackpad, but it's slow to use.

Software? MS Office for Mac (it's good, but a little dated, and Microsoft are already threatening not to upgrade it): Adobe Photoshop (there's nothing better for photo buffs): Mozilla Firefox browser (free download): Apple iPhoto, Apple iTunes (rewriter software which will transfer music to iPods). Well, truth be told, I like the software I have already, and would like to keep it on any new machine.

I have a couple of mates who use MS XP Pro, both HATE it, but I don't know exactly why, and I've never used it myself, so I make no comment on it. All I can say legitimately is that one mate has disinstalled it and gone back to W97 - dunno why!

I did an NVQ in IT, back in 1998. It was all done on PCs with W97. When I was given a second-hand Mac, I had to re-learn everything, and I have to admit to having fallen hard for Macs (despite the difficulty of finding software and anyone who can fix problems or do repairs, especially here in the boondocks). The "Big Mac" runs on Mac OS 9.1, very easy, as most of it is "drag and drop"; the "Happy Meal" (laptop) runs on the new Mac OS X Panther, which is good, fast, but not as easy to use or maintain (not for me, anyway, but then, I'm a dweeb! )

I'd deffo get rid of A O helL, though, and I hope to get rid of it soon (AOL Broadband won't work with Macs, neither does BTBB )

Snorri
(tecnological simpleton)
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

08-07-2005, 05:40 AM
OK thanks guys
So I`m looking for as much mb`s as poss & the same with hard drive. Like the idea of waiting to see if I need scanner as can add it later if I want to. Intel 4 then ask for a demo of xp home & professional & will ask about batteries for cordless kb & mouse.
As I`m connected by satelite to the internet I`ve also got to check with my agent cos when I mentioned it to them they said to let them know before getting new pc as theres somethings they need to check with me first, will email them later & see what they say as well.
I`ll let you know as soon as I`ve picked one, thanks
Christine.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

12-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Hi folks, went yesterday but bloke was out
Anyway heres what I`ve asked for so I`m going to print it & see what you think. Printers I`ve got now is ok & they said stay with it

Enlight Tower

Intel Pentium 3.2GHz Processor

ASUS Motherboard

512Mb DDR RAM

80GB Hard Drive

LG DVD-RW 16x

Floppy Disk Drive

Logitech Cordless Desktop

Speakers

Windows XP Home

Christine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >