Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CovetKaty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 08:01 PM

Preserves!

Well, I made my first preserves Apple chutney yesterday and a Picalilli today and I couldn't believe how easy it was.

I was expecting this huge faff before hand but once I had the jars washed and sterilised it was a breeze, the picailli took 20 minutes of chopping yesterday afternoon and half an hour tonight to actually cook the sauce and put it together.

The apple chutney was a bit more difficult as I had to cook it down but I can't wait to make the jams at the end of the month

Anyone else a preserves-o-holic?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Well done! Ive made beetroot and onion chutney and and celery and mixed pepper pickle
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by CovetKaty View Post
Anyone else a preserves-o-holic?
me me me!

I have in the past done chutneys and pickles - I loooove pickled onions so much I try to make my own, and when I do they keep really well for 2 yrs.

My mum used to make loads of jams & jellies, and I grew up with 'real' jam.... I dislike modern shop jam as it always has glucose or fructose syrup in. It kind of makes it taste TOO sweet or just the WRONG kind of sweet, if you have been used to traditional.

I love looking out for jumble sales and WI markets as I know I can get home-made real jams & chutneys there are reasonable prices.

Right - thanks for the nudge.... have 2kg pickling onions in the cupboard, spices etc but need to get them all done soon!