Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-07-2017, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by jeffpas View Post
I wish I had more time of course to do all those things! I'm spending all the time I possibly can. That was the whole reason for getting her a companion.

On a side note, just had company visit and she was absolutely spastic with excitement, jumping and with the claws and teeth nipping. She's gotten big fast and hard to control, and pretty much drove them out the door with cuts and scratches. It was pretty bad.

I'm starting to regret the advice "let them mouth you, its natural". Relatives have a 'teeth don't touch skin' rule from puppy age and they seem to be faring far better. Also as cute as jumping up to say hi is when they're little, this should probably be forbidden at the get-go too.
I'm paying the price now! She has quickly become a big furniture crashing teenage delinquent when she gets riled. :/
Which is why I always advise the pup be trained to be the dog you want, don't wait for problems to arise before teaching rules and boundaries and self restraint.
Yeah it takes time but a lot less time as a young pup than an adolescent, I'm sure you'll get there, good luck.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-07-2017, 02:04 PM
What question. You mean, not get a second dog?
If your existing dog behaves in the way that you have described, I'm not sure you need your first dog, far less a second.
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-07-2017, 05:43 AM
It sure is easy from the comfort of a spectator chair to lecture someone else saying "maybe you're not the type to own a dog".
If I had a dollar for every time it happened in a dog forum... I could retire and hire the Dog Whisperer to do the raising haha.

All I can say is this Boxer/German Shepherd is high energy, highly demanding/exhausting and in to everything and destructive the moment unsupervised. If this is the way all puppies are (I can't remember it being so bad) I think I'm a 2yr+ adopter from here on out. Never again! lol.
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-07-2017, 06:31 AM
I have always had at least 2 dogs at a time, yes they are company for each other and play together. But the main reason for getting more than one was because I wanted them!

In some ways two dogs are easier than one - when they are adult! The main problem is finding the right dog. I trust my dogs not to fight when they are on their own, well as much as you can trust any living thing. My friend has to leave her dogs on either side of a baby gate, feeds them separately and often walks one at a time.

Two dogs also equals double the food bill, two lots of vet bills, etc. Without my dogs I would be richer
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2017, 12:14 PM
All I can say is this Boxer/German Shepherd is high energy, highly demanding/exhausting and in to everything and destructive the moment unsupervised. If this is the way all puppies are (I can't remember it being so bad) I think I'm a 2yr+ adopter from here on out. Never again! lol.
I have a big, high energy dog - an 80lb adult collie. It gets two hours or more exercise a day, every day. Rail, hail, or shineWe walk at least six miles and he does much more since he runs about off the lead/leash. But, I think that's what a high energy dog needs. If you don't have the time or inclination.........

And I certainly wouldn't put up with nipping or scratching.

Just my two cents worth.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2017, 01:31 PM
You must have some training classes nearby. Why not do a little bonding with your dog, and take advantage of having some professional guidance? When she is fully house-clean, and has learned some restraint and doggy manners, you could then think about about getting a companion for her.
You say, if you had a dollar for every time it happened in a forum ....
People are just trying to give advice, they can't all be wrong.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
You must have some training classes nearby. Why not do a little bonding with your dog, and take advantage of having some professional guidance? When she is fully house-clean, and has learned some restraint and doggy manners, you could then think about about getting a companion for her.
You say, if you had a dollar for every time it happened in a forum ....
People are just trying to give advice, they can't all be wrong.
Very constructive post if I may say so.
I hope Jeff heeds your advice.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2