Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-10-2013, 02:40 PM

UK Climate Maps

Posting this in a separate thread in case people find it useful/want to link to it.

Here are a series of maps to help paint a picture of the climate in parts of the UK... I am surprised by some actually!

Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Wow that's fascinating Azz thank you for posting those, I am a bit surprised by some of the results and I don't understand what 'heating degree days' is can you help me on that one
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Heating Degree Day

Heating degree day (HDD) is a measurement designed to reflect the demand for energy needed to heat a building. It is derived from measurements of outside air temperature. The heating requirements for a given structure at a specific location are considered to be directly proportional to the number of HDD at that location. A similar measurement, cooling degree day (CDD), reflects the amount of energy used to cool a home or business. Heating degree days are defined relative to a base temperature—the outside temperature above which a building needs no heating. The most appropriate base temperature for any particular building depends on the temperature that the building is heated to, and the nature of the building (including the heat-generating occupants and equipment within it). The base temperature is usually an indoor temperature which is adequate for human comfort (internal gains increase this temperature by about 1 to 2°C).
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi Harvey, I guessed it was to do with days requiring heating.

Here's a snip from Wikipedia:

Heating degree day (HDD) is a measurement designed to reflect the demand for energy needed to heat a building.

It is derived from measurements of outside air temperature. The heating requirements for a given structure at a specific location are considered to be directly proportional to the number of HDD at that location.

A similar measurement, cooling degree day (CDD), reflects the amount of energy used to cool a home or business.
So on the graphic darker colours mean more money spent on heating, and lighter colours less

Edit: Snap Malka beat me to it
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2013, 05:14 PM
If you want to find the actual temperature and forecast for your area, Weather in the United Kingdom will tell you if you type your town or nearest town where it says "City name..."
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Thank you Malka (On the ball as usual)

Azz, so that's another plus for East Anglia You ought to take a few days break up there (if you have time), I'm sure there's some Dogsey members who can tell you about nice little villages to visit and there's currently a big push to get fibre optic cable into Suffolk & Norfolk so that might be another plus for you. I'm not sure when it will come to where we're looking at (but I can live with copper cable for a long time).

ETA:-
The only real negative about East Anglia is the ever widening 'London property prices effect' it used to be just Essex, Hertfordshire, & Cambridgeshire but it is now moving further out to cover Suffolk and even Norfolk.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks Azz. I am really surprised at the SW of the UK, but as I live in the SE that's OK