View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Here's mine (well, it was mine till I moved ), designed by myself when we knocked 2 rooms through, and built by Dave! He did have a job with that arch, and the bricks not falling off on the mantle, but he got there in the end and it worked for 20 years, gave a lovely, roaring fire, I miss it

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Well you've been sat in front of it a few times

So's my old Hal!! Well, he whizzed past it at least on his rush to do the biz with that TART Cariad who seduced her with her seductive sex offers!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah he didn't half shift
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 11:57 AM
My "new" house has a small old range. Sadly not connected to any water supply but.... I get what is called "singles" here; not slack but tiny fragments of coal and if you load the range up late afternoon it burns all night.
Then all the inside doors are left open to air the whole house

There is oil fired central heating but the cost..

I cook on the range; always large pans of water atop it.. dry clothes by it,.. a large stone in the over becomes a bed and foot warmer

Old ways, good ways
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
My "new" house has a small old range. Sadly not connected to any water supply but.... I get what is called "singles" here; not slack but tiny fragments of coal and if you load the range up late afternoon it burns all night.
Then all the inside doors are left open to air the whole house

There is oil fired central heating but the cost..

I cook on the range; always large pans of water atop it.. dry clothes by it,.. a large stone in the over becomes a bed and foot warmer

Old ways, good ways
The best ways! You cannot beat food cooked on and in an Aga or Rayburn. I know exactly what you mean by singles - it's great for banking up a range and leaving it to heat the house over night, dry the washing etc.

We have oil fired heating too - it is very expensive.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Great photos everyone Gosh that Dave is talented Helena!!

This is the room I was thinking of, and I checked and the boiler is connected to a Pre-fabricated Flue - so does that mean it will be easier/cheaper to install a wood burner?

Could even convert into the kitchen, and just put a wood burning range in there? http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40

I keep hearing cost of installation is high so that might be a stopper
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Azz you would need to check the diameter a construction type of your present flue. If it's a gas boiler I believe it's unlikely that the flue will be suitable for a stove, though don't quote me on that. But if you do decide on a stove I will bet you will never regret it, as they are more efficient, more controllable, and they project/release more heat into the room as opposed to an open fire which loses a lot of it's heat up the chimney.

Ours doesn't have a back boiler, so is technically only a room heater, but we leave doors open and it heats half the house. The half it doesn't quite reach are rooms we are rarely in anyway, so the gas CH on low and on timer is good enough for those. We also use an eco fan on our stove, to help push the hot air out into the room instead of rising as it emanates from the stove (my OH is paranoid about the wall mounted tv above the fire!).
I've made fresh coffee in our Bialetti sitting on our little stove, heated soup, boiled tea kettles, you name it...it's amazing...and better still no need to get too far from the cosy fire just to put on a brew!

As far as mess goes, as others have said a stove needs a good bed to burn most efficiently, but when cleaning out, most stoves these days have a handle you slip into the pan to remove it in one go. You can also get cool little ash buckets with vacuums which suck the ash straight into the closed bucket. We use the ashes in the garden, or in winter it makes a great, if messy, alternative to salt or grit on icy driveways.

The installation of ours cost more than the stove, but this this included a new flue liner as our chimney was leaking smoke into the attic. We live in a smoke control area but a lot of cottages around us have stoves too. I know for sure ours is compliant as we made sure to go for a DEFRA approved model. You can check that out at the following link, but most good stove suppliers will keep you right if you query them about it.
http://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/app....php?country=a

We bought the slate hearth slabs ourselves and had my dad do his magic with a massive angle grinder, then we laid them ourselves on a lime mortar bed and later grouted with a suitable flexible grout. I'm proud to say I made our fire surround all by myself from Larch sleepers purchased for about £30 from our local working woodland!

We only occasionally buy wood as we are fortunate that my dad gets the joiners in his work to cut up and save all their suitable scrap wood for us.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info Ash - your set-up sounds great, and I bet your surround is really nice!

I'm not sure what to do now tbh, see that wall on the left? We were going to knock it through (it's about a meter wide! ) and then move the kitchen into this room (the one in the pics). But I really don't want to do all that stuff again and just want an easy life hence was thinking of keeping the rooms as they are and putting a WBS in this room if it would be a straight forward swap... but it sounds like it may be more involved than I thought. It would be perfect in this room tho as it's in the basement but the centre of the house - so heat going either side would be excellent.

I will check out the Defra website too, thought I'm fairly sure it should be ok here as there are quite few houses with smokey chimneys

Thanks again for the info
Azz
Administrator
Male 

13-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Oh guess what I'm dreaming of again now the cold weather is back!

I'd love a wood burning range for the kitchen and a log burner for the lounge.

Can't believe how much the ranges are tho - £7K ish I love the idea of a range that is on 24 hours a day, toasty kitchen!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi We had an open fire and a rayburn,but the wind knocked both of them out,so now we have a small wood burner,it is very cheap to run,and gives the effect of a fire,our cottage is over 100 years old and has thick walls,when we had visitors after we had changed everything,they said how warm it was as the last time they visited it was perishiing cold.Gemini54
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >