Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Why the muzzle ?
buglysprince
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Greyhounds need to be muzzled when introduced to smaller dogs because of their high prey drive, better to be safe than sorry a majority of greyhounds will live happily with small dogs and cats with the correct guidance, as she is a non chaser the chances of this is very high. I have a non chaser who would be fine with cats but I also have an ex racer who could never be left with small dogs/cats as her prey drive is high
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2014, 09:07 PM
That's exactly it.

The first greyhound they chose for us to try, we never even got to even properly introduce as she was so fixated on Alfie from the second she saw him, she literally would not budge or take her eyes off of him! Then we met this girl

When alfie runs she is still interested just now, but in general she is fine with him.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2014, 07:38 AM
She is gorgeous
I wish you many happy years together
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Alfie is soo cute and she is lovely too. when we first got our Greyhound it was so amusing to watch her try and emulate our small dog who is about the same size as Alfie. At least it was amusing until one day they were playing and she tried to follow him under the coffee table! However, no real harm done and it is now one of our fondest memories

May you have plenty of fond memories to stack up
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Well done adopting a greyhound, they are such loving creatures and make wonderful pets. Especially when they go to someone with your common-sense approach. Was surprised by the "Why the muzzle?" question, but it has been answered perfectly. May you have many years together filled with joy!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

27-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
Well done adopting a greyhound, they are such loving creatures and make wonderful pets. Especially when they go to someone with your common-sense approach. Was surprised by the "Why the muzzle?" question, but it has been answered perfectly. May you have many years together filled with joy!
Why, it's a perfectly good question.?
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-12-2014, 04:13 PM
I'd assume he means he's surprised you might not have considered that hounds can be unreliable with small furries. In the circumstances muzzling is a valid enough move although it surprises me that a rescue would send you off with a dog that had not been tested.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

27-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Mr.Bulldog View Post
I'd assume he means he's surprised you might not have considered that hounds can be unreliable with small furries. In the circumstances muzzling is a valid enough move although it surprises me that a rescue would send you off with a dog that had not been tested.
I actually understood what he meant, he may be surprised and under the misconception I didn't consider a hounds mentality, but he is wrong! I actually worked in a greyhound racing kennel many many years ago , so there's nothing I don't understand about them.

My initial question was in reference to the muzzle because it knew what the answer would be....my concern is that anyone would actually bring a dog into their home that has NOT been tested with small dogs....
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2014, 05:05 PM
They do test them with small dogs, i never said they didnt.... that's how I knew which ones I would be seeing when I went to the rescue to start with, but as each dog is individual you can't always assume, hence the muzzle
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >