View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2012, 09:10 AM
How come the police do not give the dogs back to the provider?

That is certainly what happens in most forces with the breeders I know who supply dogs to the police.

(However the breeders I am talking about are reputable and do not, for example, sell on bitches except in very rare cases)
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
Yes Dollar was behind many Tervs at the beginning - but the American dogs were generally unlike the original continental type bred in Belgium and France and gradually as more of the continental dogs were imported the American lines died out - Marcelle King ( Belamba) stopped breeding BSD when the Kc amalgamated all four varieties ( a decision that saw the end of many kennels - now thankfully reversed ) and she is now active in Afghan Hounds.

http://www.belamba.co.uk/tervs/t-dollar.html
Yes, Marcelle lives about half an hour from me and it was her who introduced her 2 stud dogs to me (Flair and Dollar) so that I just fell completely in love head over heels, and that was that!

That was after I had read "Jack" of course! I must admit, and I know it's not a popular comment, but I did love the American dogs. I know some people thought they were ugly but they are the Belgians I originally fell in love with

That KC decision was not a good one for the breed really, was it?

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2012, 09:17 AM
.......Bandol was an incredibly influential sire - a most beautiful and typy dog imported from Belgium - he is behind most of the top kennels today.

Agree, he was a really influential dog. Marcelle was disappointed that my boy (the one with the tooth behind the others!) could not be kept by her for that reason, as she had wanted to keep him to show, as she felt he'd grow into a really typy dog too, like his sire . I got him when he was about 6 months old I think ....

I knew her well back in the day, and we used to take all our dogs out in Wareham forest together - a riot of Tervs

Wys
x
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Yes Dollar was behind many Tervs at the beginning - but the American dogs were generally unlike the original continental type bred in Belgium and France and gradually as more of the continental dogs were imported the American lines died out - Marcelle King ( Belamba) stopped breeding BSD when the Kc amalgamated all four varieties ( a decision that saw the end of many kennels - now thankfully reversed ) and she is now active in Afghan Hounds.

Bandol was an incredibly influential sire - a most beautiful and typy dog imported from Belgium - he is behind most of the top kennels today.

I forget the kennel name (Bobbington?) but wasn't Ann O'Shea breeding Tervs and Groenendaels in Sittingbourne back then as well?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
I forget the kennel name (Bobbington?) but wasn't Ann O'Shea breeding Tervs and Groenendaels in Sittingbourne back then as well?
Ann O'Shea is Zellik, isn't she? She bred Merlin's paternal grandmother - Ch Zellik Hightime Kaos of Kimbesha.

To Bijou - never found out who bred the Terv pair I met and judged in that fun show in 1987, but I knew that was the breed for me immediately. Took a while to get there and I'm still not fully immersed, but I'm working on it
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Ann O'Shea is Zellik, isn't she? She bred Merlin's paternal grandmother - Ch Zellik Hightime Kaos of Kimbesha.

To Bijou - never found out who bred the Terv pair I met and judged in that fun show in 1987, but I knew that was the breed for me immediately. Took a while to get there and I'm still not fully immersed, but I'm working on it
Yes, you're right, thanks for the reminder

IIRC One of her red Terv dogs was sire to mine, his pet name was Pippin, as I wasn't into showing I forget his kennel name
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 06:14 PM
yes it's very sad -we've just had another two Malinois handed onto our breed rescue from West Mercia Police - they are also unsuitable as pets quite honestly I question what the Police think we can do with these dogs ? - why is it ok for them to offload their responsibility in this way and why does the breeder of these dogs think it's fine to deliberately produce dogs that are unsuitable as pets and then take NO responsibility for them when they don't make the grade as working dogs ..

....just don't get me started ........
Why do the police not return the dogs to the breeder?

Also, exactly why are they not suited to an active pet lifestyle? Have they been taught to bite and/or are aggressive? Or are they just too high drive/high energy?

Also, what type of Mali is being bred that is suited to police work but not suited to an active companion home (Maligators?!)? I have found, over the years, that quite often the type of dog (GSD) that is suited to UK police GP work is just the type of dog that the active companion home is after too - strong nerves, sociable, but with enough drive/energy to enjoy plenty of exercise and training.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 06:16 PM

Bandol was an incredibly influential sire - a most beautiful and typy dog imported from Belgium - he is behind most of the top kennels today.

That is one gorgeous dog
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Moobli - I have not personally assessed the two Mali's - the " not suitable for Pets " description came from West Mercia Police themselves - like you I think that a commited experienced ACTIVE home could work well with these two and we are doing all we can to source homes like this but they are as rare as hens teeth - as to why they were not handed back to their breeder ? - well that's a question I'd like answered too !!

That is one gorgeous dog
..ah yes indeed !! - here is one of his ancestors showing the wonderful quality Bandol and his progeny passed down

Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2012, 06:17 AM
as to why they were not handed back to their breeder ? - well that's a question I'd like answered too !!
My thoughts exactly - talk about 'passing the buck'
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >