Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I do see your point. I remember feeling quite upset watching an Animal Cops: Houston episode where a really sweet rottie was put to sleep because it reacted to a plastic hand going in it's food bowl. Now, I DO understand the issue, but I can't help but feel that repeatedly jabbing at a dog's food with a big plastic hand on a stick is probably going to p*ss off even a laid back dog and is asking for trouble. I don't feel that it realistically represented a person touching the food bowl, a dog would know the difference...equally I'm not volunteering to stick my hand in a dog food bowl for the sake of assessment either. And I don't suppose they were able to dangle a real child near that dog, so had to use a doll. Far from perfect but.....

Honestly, I just think everyone is far too afraid of getting sued in this compensation culture world and forces them to make big deals out of potentially minor issues, to cover themselves.
The rescue I worked with had all new owners sign a disclaimer---I assume they had legal advise on that and it would stand up in court.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 11:28 PM
THat was what I was wondering as it used to identify potential dogs for working homes such as the police etc.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 07:31 AM
They were the first to use Sue Sternbergs methods as well I seem to remember. I know they had a team of behaviourists then. They used to do agility and all sorts to try and help the dogs.

I would think they get an awful lot that can't be helped.

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Absolutely correct so does that mean we should not breed from the best?

Breeding only from hip scored parents does not guarantee that no pup will develop HD. Does that mean we should not bother testing?

What everyone is hopefully TRYING to do, is to MINIMISE risk in all areas, health, temperament and function surely?
Obviously. That's not the issue I have as I have already stated.

Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I do see your point. I remember feeling quite upset watching an Animal Cops: Houston episode where a really sweet rottie was put to sleep because it reacted to a plastic hand going in it's food bowl. Now, I DO understand the issue, but I can't help but feel that repeatedly jabbing at a dog's food with a big plastic hand on a stick is probably going to p*ss off even a laid back dog and is asking for trouble. I don't feel that it realistically represented a person touching the food bowl, a dog would know the difference...equally I'm not volunteering to stick my hand in a dog food bowl for the sake of assessment either. And I don't suppose they were able to dangle a real child near that dog, so had to use a doll. Far from perfect but.....

Honestly, I just think everyone is far too afraid of getting sued in this compensation culture world and forces them to make big deals out of potentially minor issues, to cover themselves.
No I'm not a huge fan of the food assessment, but again can understand the need for it. That's why I was so surprised when I saw the English programme with the Staffy being rehabbed. I would've thought a food aggressive dog would be un rehomeable, but it just goes to show how if given a chance some dogs with issues can be rehomed. And again, I totally understand that you can't rehab every single problem dog as their aren't enough spaces. But I honestly do not feel that a dog that shows slight anxiety towards strangers etc can be classed as a problem dog that will become/is aggressive.

I do not think that civil suits are at the top of assessor's or rescues thoughts.

As has been said before not enough homes for all dogs.
Not enough money to keep dogs for an infinite amount of time
Not enough money to pay sufficient behaviourists and trainers to rehab the dogs
Not enough room to extend existing or build new kennels

The list goes on.

Then there are the issues of if it could be considered an illegal type/breed, then the home cannot rehome.

If only things were as simple as some people make out...........................
Who is trying to make out that things are that simple?

The programme is on Sky channel 238 at the moment if anyone wants to watch it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 07:13 PM
I do not have Sky.....................
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 07:16 PM
I do not have Sky.....................
I know.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
No I'm not a huge fan of the food assessment, but again can understand the need for it. That's why I was so surprised when I saw the English programme with the Staffy being rehabbed. I would've thought a food aggressive dog would be un rehomeable, but it just goes to show how if given a chance some dogs with issues can be rehomed. And again, I totally understand that you can't rehab every single problem dog as their aren't enough spaces. But I honestly do not feel that a dog that shows slight anxiety towards strangers etc can be classed as a problem dog that will become/is aggressive.
In an ideal world, both problems are reasonably easily solvable, but we don't live in that ideal world, we live in the one where there are just too many dogs needing homes and not enough homes to take them

Unless you are actually doing the assessing, you can't really tell how deep rooted a problem is (and even then, there are likely to be mistakes made). Much of it is what is showing in the dog's eyes and the nuances of body language and a film camera just won't pick up
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
In an ideal world, both problems are reasonably easily solvable, but we don't live in that ideal world, we live in the one where there are just too many dogs needing homes and not enough homes to take them

Unless you are actually doing the assessing, you can't really tell how deep rooted a problem is (and even then, there are likely to be mistakes made). Much of it is what is showing in the dog's eyes and the nuances of body language and a film camera just won't pick up
I saw the assessment of the dog with the doll and it was quite clear the dog was not aggressive, a fearful dog is not by default an aggressive dog. Of course you will get a better picture if you're there in person, but if the assessor openly states on TV that a dog that shows anxiety (be it submissive or aggressive) it must be PTS regardless, then I'm going to believe what they say. Like I said before, if there were other issues with the dog then they would've been mentioned as it would be in the RSPCA's best interests to show it for obvious reasons.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I saw the assessment of the dog with the doll and it was quite clear the dog was not aggressive, a fearful dog is not by default an aggressive dog. Of course you will get a better picture if you're there in person, but if the assessor openly states on TV that a dog that shows anxiety (be it submissive or aggressive) it must be PTS regardless, then I'm going to believe what they say. Like I said before, if there were other issues with the dog then they would've been mentioned as it would be in the RSPCA's best interests to show it for obvious reasons.
They didn't necessarily have editorial control.

I entirely agree with Brierley that there are things that can be evident, but very subtle, to an experienced, attuned assessor, that just do not show on camera.

Among other factors the camera is showing things from a different angle so tension, facial expression, quality of eye contact (hard or soft etc) and so forth can come across very differently.

Additionally on an edited programme you never know what history or additional indicators are being taken into account.

"Food guarding" is a blanket term and comes in many differing degrees, and can arise from different causes. These affect the prognosis.

You can invariably take it as read that TV programmes never give the full story, far, far more is shot than is ever shown so there will be heavy edits in places.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
They didn't necessarily have editorial control.

I entirely agree with Brierley that there are things that can be evident, but very subtle, to an experienced, attuned assessor, that just do not show on camera.

Among other factors the camera is showing things from a different angle so tension, facial expression, quality of eye contact (hard or soft etc) and so forth can come across very differently.

Additionally on an edited programme you never know what history or additional indicators are being taken into account.

"Food guarding" is a blanket term and comes in many differing degrees, and can arise from different causes. These affect the prognosis.

You can invariably take it as read that TV programmes never give the full story, far, far more is shot than is ever shown so there will be heavy edits in places.
It was very clear from all of the dogs shown over the many programmes that I watched that it was a generalised reason, mainly because they stated it out right. No amount of editing can change that fact. As much as people are desperate to believe that there are individual reasons to these dogs being PTS I am 100% sure this is not the case, it's the whole point of the thread after all. If I wasn't sure or I felt there was even the slightest chance that there were individual reasons for these dogs being PTS then I would never have started the thread.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >