Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I'd rather have a nice cheese board over a dessert personally but last year I did my speciality white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake which was well received! Be happy to share the recipe if you're interested!
One of my favourites, will definitely be trying that!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Well i can make it so must be fairly easy!! Desserts are not my strong point!!

Recipe is as follows:

Ingredients for the base:

75g of Plain Digestive Biscuits
125g of Ginger Nut Biscuits
100g Butter

Ingredients for the Filling:

400g of White Chocolate
65g Butter
1 Whole Vanilla Pod
400g Cream Cheese/Philadelphia
50g Caster Sugar
160ml Whipping Cream
1 Punnet of Raspberries.

Method:

1. Crush biscuits down either in blender or in a bag with a rolling pin then melt the butter and add to the biscuits and mix well. Once combined press into a 23cm springform tin and put in the fridge whilst you make the filling

2. Break the chocolate into chunks and place into a heatproof bowl with the butter and the vanilla pod. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water until melted and then remove the vanilla pod and allow to cool.

3. In another bowl add the cream cheese, the caster sugar and the whipping cream and mix to a smooth consistency.

4. Once the chocolate mix has cooled slightly add it to the cream cheese mixture and stir well.

5. Then add the raspberries and stir gently trying not to release the juices from the raspberries. (I sometimes place them in the freezer for half an hour before doing this stage).

6. Spoon the finished mixture onto the biscuit base and leave in the fridge preferably overnight or for as long as possible but i'd say at least 6 hours to set nicely.

Simple as that - i've made it loads of times and it always comes out perfect. If you don't like ginger that much then you can make the base with just digestives or maybe try choc chip cookies or something but the ginger with the raspberries and white choc is a lovely combination.
Great, thanks for that! I will certainly be trying it!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I tend not to have a dessert - we have a really nice roast for lunch which does me fine....and I often get some nice chocs in my Stocking so have one or two of those in the evening.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2011, 08:50 PM
I have my sister and Rue, plus her bloke and one of her female friends coming over for a get-together and meal here at Mum's on Christmas Eve so I will need to think of some kind of dessert too.

My mother can't eat cheese so unfortunately cheesecake is out, although I *might* make a Key Lime Pie which is cheeseless.

Or, I was thinking of doing a trifle - a themed one - I was thinking of concocting a Pavlova trifle which would include raspberries, peaches and meringue, but not sure where/how to incorporate the meringue! unless it was crumbled in with the cream on the top, a bit like Eton Mess?
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2011, 10:09 PM
My dad, brother and uncle normally have Christmas pud and me and my mum normally have something like chocolate gateau as we don't like Christmas pudding.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm not sure. Have got a Christmas pudding for hubby but I don't like it. I expect I'll get whatever dessert takes my fancy in Waitrose next week as I can't be bothered cooking something else although I will be doing a trifle.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 06:46 AM
I make a low-sugar trifle which I love. Baz has mince pies and cream. Mind you, the pud is usually the "tea" as we are too stuffed from the dinner to eat it then

kuma
New Member!
Female 

12-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Well, I have two options, depending on the weather on the day! The first is individual plum puddings with custard and the other is an icecream cake made with vanilla icecream in two layers, the first with fork squashed raspberries and then on top of that vanilla icecream with chocolate coated honeycomb (crumbled via rolling pin) and decorated with piped cream, cherries and cachous! At the moment long range forecast is for a mild 26 celsius, but it can get bloody hot on Christmas Day, 40 is not unknown!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I tend not to have a dessert - we have a really nice roast for lunch which does me fine....and I often get some nice chocs in my Stocking so have one or two of those in the evening.
Thats what I do - too stuffed after dinner to eat any more. Although this year I am making a Gingerbread house
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Very hot Xmas pudding, flamed, served with ice cold Brandy Butter!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >