Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2011, 10:47 PM

Ideas please?dog refusing rigid tunnel goes in comes out again

Only my boy would do this but gave them a laugh at training?

Tonight at training my boy was jumping medium,doing closed tunnel,seesaw,aframe and dog walk fine,even did tyre on low height,but his refusing tunnel open both ends (rigid) goes in comes out again or wait for it jumps on top of tunnel walks the lenght of tunnel,and iocassionally goes thru if I stuck my head in other end.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Yeah they do that to start with
close it up a bit and start easy
Recal him tru it
send him in and have the ball land just before he comes out the other end
make running tru the tunnel great fun

and be careful what you wish for - once they really get the idea they often like it way too much - tunnels are like black holes for dogs - they can get sucked in from the other side of a ring
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Anything has got to be better than dog jumping on rigid tunnel and walking the lenght
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
Anything has got to be better than dog jumping on rigid tunnel and walking the lenght
Mia did that!
My friends dog is a hard headdied collie with no fear - the tunnel was curved in a loop with both enterences facing the dog - handler told him to go into the tunnel
Rather than pick an enterence he went right for the middle full speed and sent the tunnel flying! Didnt phase him in the least - he was only fed up cos he had to wait to get on to the next obsticle
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
Only my boy would do this but gave them a laugh at training?

Tonight at training my boy was jumping medium,doing closed tunnel,seesaw,aframe and dog walk fine,even did tyre on low height,but his refusing tunnel open both ends (rigid) goes in comes out again or wait for it jumps on top of tunnel walks the lenght of tunnel,and iocassionally goes thru if I stuck my head in other end.
I have found over the years that some dogs do not like the rigid tunnel for the following reasons:

Feel of surface on paws
Hitting their spine on the wire surround
Noise it makes
Movement it makes

I studied this for a couple of months a few years ago when I observed that dogs bizarrely (to me) appeared to be ok with the cloth one which is closed but not the more (to me) more open one.

So I went to 5 clubs and watched the classes and videod the dogs and the slo mo caught a lot of behaviours easily missed when they are zooming around.

We experimented with

different "floors"
Higher tunnels
Different materials

And noted the changes, we could then make the appropriate changes.

For some dogs adrenalin will override some issues but for others it did not.

Anyway I digress, until you had brought this up I had forgotton I did this, it was a mini project I did on behaviour.

Not sure it helps in any way, but your post did make me chuckle.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Crawl through in front of your dog.
Even if it doesn`t prove an instant cure, it`s vastly entertaining for the rest of the club.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Sika was a bit unsure at first. I threw a treat in a little way, clicked when she went in a bit and then she got the treat. I carried on doing this throwing the treat a little bit further each time until she was going to whole way through after the treat
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Even if it doesn`t prove an instant cure, it`s vastly entertaining for the rest of the club.
Especially if you are:

overweight
wearing white leggings
wearing a thong or dark underwear...........
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Yep I remember the lady with the tiny Dachschund who did this at a class to get her dog to go through!

Parker had a really silly moment last week with the flat tunnel. He hasn't been to agility for some time and seemed to have forgotten this piece of equipment as he went through happily enough then tried to turn around in the middle and caught caught in the material and was just a lump moving about up an down We all had a good laugh at his expense whilst the trainer rescued him
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2011, 08:38 PM

I can imagine what would happen if I tried this. I'd probably need the fire brigade to cut me out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >