View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Hi - agility is great fun - I have a couple of pics somewhere and some videos too of the Gordons.

Just started with Bentley (our youngest) and desparate to get some video of him as he has only been doing it a month and already putting mini courses together! He's amazing and really uses his brain to figure it out!

I would look for somewhere that the emphasis is on fun for the dog - a few compete at our club but they still come for the fun element - no harsh methods and all reward based And able to adjust training for each dogs needs - not all dogs learn the same way. e.g. gundogs tend to like the handler close to them rather than work ahead etc. (although Bentley is defying that rule at the moment!)

As advised agiltynet is a great place to look for a new club on the a-z clubs.

Good luck am sure you will love it.

Sorry you haven't enjoyed showing as much as you hoped - try not to let the nasty folk put you off - there are many more nicer folk than them.

Even the established people have issues with some of the folk sadly in your breed. Such a shame popel ruin a fun hobby for some isn't it.

Sorry for waffling on - once I get going sometimes....

Oh and tips for starting - good to have a toy for them to work too - seems much more rewarding than food sometimes! But food is fine (two of mine do it for food! and can't be doing with toys) but Bentley has a special squeaky toy he LOVES!! And general obedience - a good wait and recall and teaching left and right definitely a good start.

Good luck hope you find somewhere...
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Lydia is great at Sandbach, that's where we took Keisha for a clicker training class and also 1-1 agility training
thats the dig it dogs isnt it? thats where im looking at. looks really good.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Hi - agility is great fun - I have a couple of pics somewhere and some videos too of the Gordons.

Just started with Bentley (our youngest) and desparate to get some video of him as he has only been doing it a month and already putting mini courses together! He's amazing and really uses his brain to figure it out!

I would look for somewhere that the emphasis is on fun for the dog - a few compete at our club but they still come for the fun element - no harsh methods and all reward based And able to adjust training for each dogs needs - not all dogs learn the same way. e.g. gundogs tend to like the handler close to them rather than work ahead etc. (although Bentley is defying that rule at the moment!)

As advised agiltynet is a great place to look for a new club on the a-z clubs.

Good luck am sure you will love it.

Sorry you haven't enjoyed showing as much as you hoped - try not to let the nasty folk put you off - there are many more nicer folk than them.

Even the established people have issues with some of the folk sadly in your breed. Such a shame popel ruin a fun hobby for some isn't it.

Sorry for waffling on - once I get going sometimes....

Oh and tips for starting - good to have a toy for them to work too - seems much more rewarding than food sometimes! But food is fine (two of mine do it for food! and can't be doing with toys) but Bentley has a special squeaky toy he LOVES!! And general obedience - a good wait and recall and teaching left and right definitely a good start.

Good luck hope you find somewhere...
i just think alot of the toy breeds seem to be quite bi**hy from what ive noticed, and i cant afford £30 near enough a show, to not enjoy it. at midland counties i didnt spend much time round my own breed ring, i went and sat with my nana and her friends at the papillons (unfortunately not a dog i would choose to own) and watching other breeds i like, which seemed to be friendlier.

i will still show i think, but maybe not with the cresteds, if i get another breed give it a go with them, ive entered an open show with the guys but its going to be put on a back burner for a while.

thanks for the advice about the toy, asbo has two favourites, one is his ball on a rope, the other is his ball with a furry tail thing on, which is saved for special occasions so this could be a toy to use

how do i teach left and right? we have the wait and recall fine, but have no idea about left and right?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 10:25 AM
There are several ways to do left and right.

You could use a cone/or marker to send round initially don't say anything and only reward when they go right round - or just by teaching to spin left right

Oh just thought of another thing - hard to describe but you want to get Asbo used to following your direction - have his toy in your left hand and him on your left side and just get him used to moving round following your arm (held out straight). Initially just do one side at a time.

Then get him used to following by swapping hands in front of you - don't think I have described this at all well!

I also keep his special toy for agility only! or training! He doesn't get to play with it at other times !
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
There are several ways to do left and right.

You could use a cone/or marker to send round initially don't say anything and only reward when they go right round - or just by teaching to spin left right

Oh just thought of another thing - hard to describe but you want to get Asbo used to following your direction - have his toy in your left hand and him on your left side and just get him used to moving round following your arm (held out straight). Initially just do one side at a time.

Then get him used to following by swapping hands in front of you - don't think I have described this at all well!

I also keep his special toy for agility only! or training! He doesn't get to play with it at other times !
thanks for that. may give it a go later today, have to pressure wash the yard first
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
thats the dig it dogs isnt it? thats where im looking at. looks really good.
It is, yeah they do it indoor or outdoor and we used to hire out the arena and equiptment for 10 pounds too, u can do this once you're a member and once you've both had enough training. They do a league and competitions too.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i just think alot of the toy breeds seem to be quite bi**hy from what ive noticed, and i cant afford £30 near enough a show, to not enjoy it. at midland counties i didnt spend much time round my own breed ring, i went and sat with my nana and her friends at the papillons (unfortunately not a dog i would choose to own) and watching other breeds i like, which seemed to be friendlier.

i will still show i think, but maybe not with the cresteds, if i get another breed give it a go with them, ive entered an open show with the guys but its going to be put on a back burner for a while.

thanks for the advice about the toy, asbo has two favourites, one is his ball on a rope, the other is his ball with a furry tail thing on, which is saved for special occasions so this could be a toy to use

how do i teach left and right? we have the wait and recall fine, but have no idea about left and right?
Anywhere you get a group of people competing against each other , you will get bitchiness, be that in the show or agility ring.

And if you get the breed of dog you say you are, believe me there is bitchiness in there too.

You need to forget any politics and just enjoy what you are doing.

Have a go at any sport, and enjoy, if you worry to much over who`s bitching about who, you may as well stay at home.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
It is, yeah they do it indoor or outdoor and we used to hire out the arena and equiptment for 10 pounds too, u can do this once you're a member and once you've both had enough training. They do a league and competitions too.
it looks a really good club.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Anywhere you get a group of people competing against each other , you will get bitchiness, be that in the show or agility ring.

And if you get the breed of dog you say you are, believe me there is bitchiness in there too.

You need to forget any politics and just enjoy what you are doing.

Have a go at any sport, and enjoy, if you worry to much over who`s bitching about who, you may as well stay at home.
yeah i know it happens everywhere. i just think that after having the breed for 3 years, im still looked at as a newbie or not made to feel welcome. there was only a couple of people who spoke to me and made me feel welcome, compared to the ammount of people in the breed its a small number. but its not just that theres issues with the breed at the minute, and im putting it on the back burner for a while, i do enjoy showing dont get me wrong.

ive wanted to try agility for a while and asbo seems to be the dog to try it with
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 01:03 PM
I've been doing agility for 5 years with Jed, the other 2 dogs have dabbled in it but we do it just for fun. I've been to 3 agility clubs, one I wanted to stay with and trained at the most but it clashed with obedience so I tried somewhere else. Wasnt happy with that so i'm still looking.

Anyway, it took me a good 3 years to actually get the hang of handling a dog correctly, understanding where I was going wrong, how to overcome problems etc. Many people think it's easy but it's not because it's all about co-ordination, understanding your own body language as well as training the dog!

I'm an impatient person and just wanted to get stuck in but it takes time for everything to come together for you and the dog. When I started agility with the other 2 dogs, Jed was already trained and I found it even more difficult to adjust to starting from scratch again instead of taking a dog round who knew what he was doing!

It's brilliant fun though and so rewarding when it clicks with your dog. Jed spent the first few months just running off to other dogs and then avoiding being caught but then one day he seemed to realise what he was there to do and although he's not the fastest, he gets clear rounds.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >