Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I don't castrate my male dogs for the reasons you posted, but I think rescues would be mad not to neuter every animal they rehome, that said I don't agree with 8 week old neutering. (I do find some rescues need to insist current dogs are neutered beyond ridiculous though, but I won't go into that here! )

I met a bloke with a gorgeous Staffy X the other week. This dog had a lovely temperament and played really well with both my dogs. We got on to the topic of how there are so many Staffies and Staffy crosses in rescue. He agreed and said it was terrible. He then noted Oscar wasn't castrated - I explained why etc and he then went on to say how disappointed he was that the rescue centre had castrated his dog as he would've liked to have seen what sort of pupppies he would produce.

I mean what a numpty - he clearly didn't connect with the "I'll breed just cos I can" attitude with the over population of Staffy crosses in rescue. I have to say I was absolutely gobsmacked when he came out with that one!
A prime example of why rescues have to neuter/spay
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Personal choice and neutering isn't always the correct option for individual dogs.
I have an entire dog here,he isn't used for breeding,isn't shown,doesn't have any issues,isn't and has never shown aggression to other dogs,why should I risk putting him under a GA ?
Thats your choice of course but i can't understand why people dont see that rescues have to neuter thats the reason why there are so many in rescue in the first place, overbreeding. Common sense i would have thought.

Male neutering i don't know much about to be honest but i know that females are better spayed because of pyometra
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:02 AM
The risk of pyometra is a relative risk not an absolute and must be seen in the context of the ACTUAL statistics as opposed to those commonly believed.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Thats your choice of course but i can't understand why people dont see that rescues have to neuter thats the reason why there are so many in rescue in the first place, overbreeding. Common sense i would have thought.

Male neutering i don't know much about to be honest but i know that females are better spayed because of pyometra
Of course I understand why rescues neuter and I know that it's necessary,but not everyone who owns entire dogs is irresponsible.My boy is 6 yrs old in jan and unless he has any medical issues will remain entire.I kept him and Meg before been spayed and never had any accidents and I don't intend to start now.
My bitch is spayed as a result of Pyo,had she not had Pyo she would have been bred from and then spayed.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Personal choice and neutering isn't always the correct option for individual dogs.
I have an entire dog here,he isn't used for breeding,isn't shown,doesn't have any issues,isn't and has never shown aggression to other dogs,why should I risk putting him under a GA ?
Exactly. Good post.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
As I said previously this comment is not unusual from thos pro neutering.

Again, some of us, like me, do a great deal of work for rescue ie assess dogs, homes, transport and actual hands on help DESPITE the fact that we may disagree with some of the policies of rescue.

So naturally we get a little offended by the " I wonder ...... probably not" comments which come from assumptions and jumping to conclusions.

It is not, as in so many cases in real life, an EITHER/OR issue.

If we disagree with some policies that does not make us ipso facto "anti rescue".

Most things in life are not black and white.
I didn't say anywhere that anyone was anti rescue did i :roll

Good on you for helping out, i have no problem with people who own uneutered dogs, i just think rescues to allow their dogs to go to homes that way because thats the very reason there are so many in rescue so to me it makes sense to lessen the chance of more unwanted pups that end up in rescue.

Yes i suppose it is assuming that people that have rescues may be unscrupulous by neutering their dogs but , most reasonable people can see why they do .
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Of course I understand why rescues neuter and I know that it's necessary,but not everyone who owns entire dogs is irresponsible.My boy is 6 yrs old in jan and unless he has any medical issues will remain entire.I kept him and Meg before been spayed and never had any accidents and I don't intend to start now.
My bitch is spayed as a result of Pyo,had she not had Pyo she would have been bred from and then spayed.
I didn't say all people who own uneutered dogs are irresponsible but from a rescues point of view how do they know who is and who isn't ?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:14 AM
You said:

i wonder if these people with this attitude have/do anything for rescues ! probably not i'd say

I was pointing out that actually you are wrong, certainly in my case!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You said:

i wonder if these people with this attitude have/do anything for rescues ! probably not i'd say

I was pointing out that actually you are wrong, certainly in my case!
Ahh but you took it personally ! it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, its personal choice with regards to neutering of course but in a rescue capacity i can't understand why anyone would question it
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I didn't say all people who own uneutered dogs are irresponsible but from a rescues point of view how do they know who is and who isn't ?
They don't and that's why I understand why they neuter,however I certainly don't think they should insist that the person who is willing to take on a neutered rescue dog,should have there own dogs neutered that is nothing to do with rescue.

I personally would love to do more to help with rescue(we donate)I would love to foster but can't at the moment because I have Meg here who is DA.
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »