View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-10-2011, 01:48 AM

Rescues routinely castrating male dogs - should they?

And they often do way before the dog is a year old.

Why can't they leave it to the individual owners? Not everyone believes in castration, particularly because of the negatives:
  • if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a
  • common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.
  • increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6
  • triples the risk of hypothyroidism
  • increases the risk of progressive geriatric cognitive impairment
  • triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems
  • quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer
  • doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers
  • increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
  • increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations

source http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf via Smokey

What do you think?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 05:57 AM
Because of the risk that the dog would be used for breeding.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 06:15 AM
I can see both sides of the neutering argument. Most people are never told of the pros and cons of neutering a) at all and/or b) when very early and are convinced that only pros exist.

However as a "business" a rescue will have certain policies that need to be adhered to.

As they are in the business of rescuing and/or rehoming it makes business sense to require the wholesale neutering of dogs.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Wot she said!

rune
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Take a look round any centre, gumtree and free ads and explain to me why we shouldn't neuter all dogs that come in? Of course there are some owners who are hugely responsible and take every step to ensure that their dog never gets the opportunity to mate with any dog, however the majority of normal pet owners don't often realise the difficulty in having an unneutered pet until it's too late and the dog has either escaped and mated or in season and been mated.
How many times have we had stories on here of dogs accidentally mated, or stories of meeting someone in the park withtheir inseason dog oflead.

Rescues have to do what they can to prevent the overbreeding and irresponsibility of dog ownership otherwise we would simply become a rehoming service not a rescue.

I think that like anything it's what you want to believe but I know that 2 of my nonnas dogs that were not do both eventually succumbed to prostrate related illness and the amount of times I have heard " oh I want my bitch to have a litter as it's the best thing for her" ...

Clearly not neutering dogs isn't working otherwise we wouldn't have theamount of litters we do .
I fully support the mandatory neutering of all rescue dogs regardless of age, and am currently involved with trying to get legislation to make this essential along with microchipping of dogs to try and curb the over population we have.

I would far rather have possibly a few incidents of neutering related ilness than have the faces of the ones that don't survive the council pound haunt me.

Rescues don't have the time to chase up owners to ensure that they have neutered the dogs they rehome so they must try and neuter before rehoming. There are few incidents where we will rehome with voucher for neutering however ideally we wouldneuter dog whilst in current home the move.

Further we give the option to new owners go pay extra and have keyhole spay so less of a recovery. Male dogs its an easier recovery.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
And they often do way before the dog is a year old.

Why can't they leave it to the individual owners? Not everyone believes in castration, particularly because of the negatives:
  • if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a
  • common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.
  • increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6
  • triples the risk of hypothyroidism
  • increases the risk of progressive geriatric cognitive impairment
  • triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems
  • quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer
  • doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers
  • increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
  • increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations

source http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf via Smokey

What do you think?
Not neutering;
Hugely increases the amount of unwanted litters, increases/encourages byb, pedigrees are acquired on the cheap.
All this equals more and more dogs in rescue.
I am all in favour of rescues neutering policies.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Because you cannot trust humans to not breed from the dog for a quick buck. It's too hard for many rescues, who's time and money is already stretched to regulate.

Again, dogs suffering (?) because of irresponsible humans.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I think that the small risk of problems resulting from neutering far outweighs the greater risk of yet more and more dogs needing rescuing/rehoming.

You only have to live on the nearest Moshav/Kibbutz/Army base to any town here to see all the unwanted dogs that are frequently "dumped" when their owners have had enough of them.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-10-2011, 09:48 AM
It is the individuals choice when its their dog.
while the dog is in the care of the rescue centre it is their choice/ responsibility and they feel they have the experience and history to realise the need for it.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Take a look round any centre, gumtree and free ads and explain to me why we shouldn't neuter all dogs that come in? Of course there are some owners who are hugely responsible and take every step to ensure that their dog never gets the opportunity to mate with any dog, however the majority of normal pet owners don't often realise the difficulty in having an unneutered pet until it's too late and the dog has either escaped and mated or in season and been mated.
How many times have we had stories on here of dogs accidentally mated, or stories of meeting someone in the park withtheir inseason dog oflead.

Rescues have to do what they can to prevent the overbreeding and irresponsibility of dog ownership otherwise we would simply become a rehoming service not a rescue.

I think that like anything it's what you want to believe but I know that 2 of my nonnas dogs that were not do both eventually succumbed to prostrate related illness and the amount of times I have heard " oh I want my bitch to have a litter as it's the best thing for her" ...

Clearly not neutering dogs isn't working otherwise we wouldn't have theamount of litters we do .
I fully support the mandatory neutering of all rescue dogs regardless of age, and am currently involved with trying to get legislation to make this essential along with microchipping of dogs to try and curb the over population we have.

I would far rather have possibly a few incidents of neutering related ilness than have the faces of the ones that don't survive the council pound haunt me.

Rescues don't have the time to chase up owners to ensure that they have neutered the dogs they rehome so they must try and neuter before rehoming. There are few incidents where we will rehome with voucher for neutering however ideally we wouldneuter dog whilst in current home the move.

Further we give the option to new owners go pay extra and have keyhole spay so less of a recovery. Male dogs its an easier recovery.
Excellent post and wholeheartedly agree
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »