Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
They see too much over breeding and indiscriminate breeding----too many people say they will not use their dog to breed and end up doing just that.

They simple don't want to home to people like that. It is after all their choice.

rune
How can a Many Tears dog be bred from when it is neutered ???????

Many Tears are against people breeding whilst there are still dogs in rescue, fine, however they take in dogs from breeders who get rid of their breeding dogs when they are either bred out or not good producers, this allows the breeders to keep another dog to breed from-as I have written before this is supporting the very people they are supposed to be against.

A couple brought a Many Tears rescue Labrador bitch to our Pet Dog Training Club, she was according to the paperwork 3.5 years of age, she had teats that hung down over 4 inches, she could hardly walk & was terrified of everything. She was being treated for chronic arthritis & was eventually diagnosed(by X ray)as having complete HD. She cost the new owners £1,000s at the vets for the hip replacements on both hips & other treatments & subsequently was found also to have ED in both elbows. sadly after just over 2 years she was PTS to prevent further suffering. the owners were devastated. Their vet told them that the bitch was much older that 3.5 much more likely to be 7+ years of age. Sorry but this poor bitch had no quality of life & would have been better to have been PTS before being rehomed-the fate that would have been hers had she stayed with the puppy farmer who handed her over to MT. The owners vowed never to rescue again & went out & bought a puppy
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

Many Tears are against people breeding whilst there are still dogs in rescue, fine, however they take in dogs from breeders who get rid of their breeding dogs when they are either bred out or not good producers, this allows the breeders to keep another dog to breed from-as I have written before this is supporting the very people they are supposed to be against.

A couple brought a Many Tears rescue Labrador bitch to our Pet Dog Training Club, she was according to the paperwork 3.5 years of age, she had teats that hung down over 4 inches, she could hardly walk & was terrified of everything. She was being treated for chronic arthritis & was eventually diagnosed(by X ray)as having complete HD. She cost the new owners £1,000s at the vets for the hip replacements on both hips & other treatments & subsequently was found also to have ED in both elbows. sadly after just over 2 years she was PTS to prevent further suffering. the owners were devastated. Their vet told them that the bitch was much older that 3.5 much more likely to be 7+ years of age. Sorry but this poor bitch had no quality of life & would have been better to have been PTS before being rehomed-the fate that would have been hers had she stayed with the puppy farmer who handed her over to MT. The owners vowed never to rescue again & went out & bought a puppy
that is so very very sad.

I have three rescues (Ones DT, one Local rescue, and a show reject) all healthy, so I cant begin to imagine what they must have gone through.

Personally, my chances of rescuing a dog (or a cat!) through an organisation are slim to none now. I have a child, plan on another,and I work part time)

No matter how much I would love another rescue, I wouldnt (while I have small children) take an unwanted dog from the paper/free ads. At least with a rescue, they are assessed, and health checked (well, from the above post some are!)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 11:18 AM

You misread my post---the rescue do not want to rehome to ANYONE with a dog which MIGHT be bred from. Not the dog from them---the dog already owned.

Would you prefer that all the ex breeding bitches were pts?

We all have stories of things which rescue organisations have done 'wrong' They are made up of humans and it happens. One story doesn't make a bad rescue or negate their well thought out policies.

It really annoys me whan people who add to the dog population get stroppy about the rules of a rescue organisation that they are never going to deal with anyway.

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 11:40 AM
We all have stories of things which rescue organisations have done 'wrong' They are made up of humans and it happens. One story doesn't make a bad rescue or negate their well thought out policies.

It really annoys me when people who add to the dog population get stroppy about the rules of a rescue organisation that they are never going to deal with anyway.

rune
It is one of many stories, like the little cavalier with the malformed legs that underwent multiple operations & then was not mentioned again.

I would love to rehome one of their dogs, but because I dare to plan to breed from one of MY dogs(fully health tested & homes waiting now for the puppies a full year before they will be conceived) & choose not to castrate my male even if I don't breed from them. I have actually been turned down by them for a dog that was with them for ages & bounced back at least once.

I work with two rescues & neither insists that ALL animals owned are neutered(which means no dogs for a pedigree cat breeder !! & vica versa as per MT) They do expect that new owners will have their dogs neutered if the dog isn't neutered before rehoming & neither has ever had a case of their dogs being bred from(& both have been in existence much longer than MT)

They assume that all owners that have entire dogs will breed from them without any thought to the fate of their puppies(which is what was said to me-their words were"You don't need to breed whilst we have Border Collies in our rescue")

Re sick ex breeding dogs depending on the age & level of illness in some cases-sadly yes
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Thats great---can you pass on the details to others as Rips needs a rescue which has less stringent requirements.

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Thats great---can you pass on the details to others as Rips needs a rescue which has less stringent requirements.

rune
Unfortunately the Breed rescues that I work with are the work breed for rips
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 01:21 PM
I am another who doesnt see the point in having such a blanket policy on rehoming and neatuering, it must cost dogs a home and foster placements on a regular basis. You are cutting out a whole group of people based on as Rips has said discrimination pure and simple. MT seem to have this warped idea that ALL breeders are bad and should not have one of there dogs. This then goes further to the point that ANYONE with an entire dog or cat plans to breed or is not capable of ensuring they dont have one by accident.

I have been in touch with a few rescues and this policy seems to be getting more common now which means when we come to get another grey/lurcher type it will be difficult for us. My mother saw a dog she liked on MT but would be refused as she has an entire bitch, so she faces the same problem. For years i have been trying to get them to look at getting a rescue as they didnt want another puppy when our current dogs pass but i know they will miss having a dog. Now they are going to face blanket policies which will put them off.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I totally agree that they need to have rules to protect dogs, and yes some dogs have had a sh!tty existence before they are handed in (and I dont just mean MT) The examples that JD posted, make you wonder if, indeed some of these dogs (ex breeders)really would be better off being PTS, rather than being homed, and the money used to help other dogs (the dumped, the abused, the strays and the hand ins)
Even if they wouldnt let me have a dog, I would give donations to them, if I felt that they were not fuelling the PF situation (and in my mind, taking the knackered, the sick, the useless/too old to breed is supporting them)
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-09-2011, 01:37 PM
People complain that they take ex breeding dogs people complain that they take dogs from Ireland people complain that they re home disabled dogs people complain that they are too strict in their re homing policies ..
Lets face it people just like to complain ....
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Unfortunately the Breed rescues that I work with are the work breed for rips
Oh----I didn't realise you meant breed rescues!

Do you mean they are the wrong breed?

I don't think any breed rescues have neutering policies do they? The ones I have had contact with haven't.

rune
Page 7 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >