Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Their dogs, their rules---breeders are allowed to pick and choose owners and may judge and discriminate---why can't a rescue?

What sort of dog were you hoping to rescue that you can only find at Many Tears?

rune
I have no problems with rules placed for good reason, but having a blanket policy against people who wish not to neuter their animals is very judgemental and is basically discrimination. There will be no good, genuine reason for it. An animal can not come to any harm whatsoever around intact animals when it has been neutered itself. How does choosing not to neuter your own animals render you unsuitable to rehome a pet? Especially if they're a different species? Not neutering Oscar was the best decision I ever made when you consider his severe timidness/fear aggression.

The last question I'm not going to answer as it's a personal choice and not up for public discussion.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 10:51 PM
You say you can't rescue because of the policy of one rescue orgnisation.

Because sometime in the future you 'may' want a dog from them you make a fuss about their rules.

All wind and whatever!

rune
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Can you tell if a bitch has be spayed ?scaring ??
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 11:02 PM
You say you can't rescue because of the policy of one rescue orgnisation.

Because sometime in the future you 'may' want a dog from them you make a fuss about their rules.

All wind and whatever!

rune
Please, please show me where I said that? I think you'll find what I said was a dog would miss out of a good home here because of their judgemental attitude. I've never said I won't rescue because of this draconian attitude. It's my opinion and if it upsets you so may I suggest you jog on!

I make a fuss when I feel there is inequality and when I feel people are being discriminated against, something I'm very proud of.

Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Can you tell if a bitch has be spayed ?scaring ??
I would think so, Isla has a scar running down the middle of her belly.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I have no problems with rules placed for good reason, but having a blanket policy against people who wish not to neuter their animals is very judgemental and is basically discrimination
but I imagine that the rescue in question believes they do have good reason. It may be a reason that not everyone agrees with, but, nevertheless they will have a reason for their particular policies

It's my opinion and if it upsets you so may I suggest you jog on!
again, the rescue in question could say exactly the same
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
but I imagine that the rescue in question believes they do have good reason. It may be a reason that not everyone agrees with, but, nevertheless they will have a reason for their particular policies
Should I tell you their reason? They believe that anyone who doesn't routinely neuter their animals will be responsible for producing accidental litters and adding to the stray population. So basically all owners of entire animals are automatically labelled irresponsible. It is quite possibily the most judgemental and discriminatory attitude I've ever come across. Neutering Oscar would've been severely detriemntal to him behaviourally, but who cares as long as he doesn't add to the stray population! Oh no wait, he never will anyway because I'm a responsible owner. Who'd have thought it ey, a responsible owner with entire dogs!!!

again, the rescue in question could say exactly the same
They can say what they like, I'll continue to fight against prejudice in any walk of life and be proud to do so. It's no skin off my nose tbh, there are many other rescue organisations out there that have more than an ounce of common sense than Many Tears, but it's the dogs that lose out when resuces get silly with their blanket policies.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Please, please show me where I said that? I think you'll find what I said was a dog would miss out of a good home here because of their judgemental attitude. I've never said I won't rescue because of this draconian attitude. It's my opinion and if it upsets you so may I suggest you jog on!

You wrote
I would be one of them, I was looking into rescuing possibly next year (still up in the air though). Then I noticed their ridiculous neutering policy which means just because I prefer to let my dogs be left intact (and because I show for a hobby) I can't be trusted with one of their neutered dogs. Absolutely crazy!
You wrote it in reply to this post
Very few I imagine----after all if you go to them in the first place you want to rescue a dog. So you simply go to a different rescue with less tight regulations.

That seems to indicate you would not go elsewhere.

I make a fuss when I feel there is inequality and when I feel people are being discriminated against, something I'm very proud of.

So rescue from elsewhere then. If you had ANY experience at all of trying to home a number of dogs you would relaise that a lot of people lie about their circumstances, their experience and their intentions. Every dogs future is important to the organisations. They simply can't take the risk.

I would think so, Isla has a scar running down the middle of her belly.
Good on them for standing by their beliefs---they have the right to be proud for doing so.

Of course your plan to rescue is 'up in the air' and you can't say what sort of dog you might be looking for. Yet you want them to change their policy just in case you decide you want one of their dogs----sometime!

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
I know it has Murf...but I struggle to understand the reasons behind it. Yes, I know they are a rescue, they want to place their dogs in best home. Blah blah...but how many dogs are missing out on the chance of a happy life while they have this policy? How many potentially good owners, are being sent packing, and heading to the nearest BYB/Pet shop because of these policies?
Very few I imagine----after all if you go to them in the first place you want to rescue a dog. So you simply go to a different rescue with less tight regulations.

rune
I would be one of them, I was looking into rescuing possibly next year (still up in the air though). Then I noticed their ridiculous neutering policy which means just because I prefer to let my dogs be left intact (and because I show for a hobby) I can't be trusted with one of their neutered dogs. Absolutely crazy!
Have a little look above and you will see I was responding to quotes specifically about Many Tears. I think you might be seeing what you want to see, rather than what is actually there.

Good on them for standing by their beliefs---they have the right to be proud for doing so.

Of course your plan to rescue is 'up in the air' and you can't say what sort of dog you might be looking for. Yet you want them to change their policy just in case you decide you want one of their dogs----sometime!

rune
Any rescue that has blanket policies based on prejudiced beliefs is not something that fills me with pride. Shame would be a better word. There will be dogs out there missing out on excellent homes because of their need to discriminate and make assumptions. How hard would it be to take each person as an individual? Or is it a case of quantity not quality I wonder?

And as I've already said my rescue requirements are not something you need to worry your little head about.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 09:13 PM
You still don't get that people lie do you?

Try homing dogs for a while---you can't trust anyone. Far better to be safe than sorry for the dogs sake.

If they want certain things in the homes of the dogs they rehome they have a perfect right to ask for it.

In the same way that breeders have the right to refuse homes.

Is it discrimination to refuse to home a collie or a springer to an 80 year old? If it is I would certainly be guilty of it--more so because I seem to have ended up picking up the pieces a lot recently!

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Any rescue that has blanket policies based on prejudiced beliefs is not something that fills me with pride. Shame would be a better word. There will be dogs out there missing out on excellent homes because of their need to discriminate and make assumptions. How hard would it be to take each person as an individual? Or is it a case of quantity not quality I wonder?
Surely, this would depend on whether or not their are dogs at their rescue centre that are missing out. Perhaps they manage to home the dogs in their care with the policies they have so see no need to change them

Maybe it's just a case for them of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Whatever their reason, if it works for them and the dogs that pass through their doors then I can't see their is a problem to be honest.
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »