Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Sorry but those comments are borderline paranoia! Every time someone mentions showing on a thread you're commenting on you immediately assume they're having a go at you! I genuinely couldn't give two hoots what you think about showing! I just thought I could remember the thread, it's that simple.

Blimey, I think you just need to chill out a bit luv!
lets see, you bring up something that totaly has nothing to do with this thread
you missquote me, take it out of context to have a dig at my choice of dogs I have rescued, and make comment on my mental health

and patronse me also - luv

I see no reason why anyone should be bringing up showing on this thread at all really, its a thread about rescuing
you obviously have a bee in your bonnet there, personally if I had made a mistake about a quote I thought someone had made I would at least be saying sorry for the mistake instead of continuing to insult the person
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
lets see, you bring up something that totaly has nothing to do with this thread
you missquote me, take it out of context to have a dig at my choice of dogs I have rescued, and make comment on my mental health

and patronse me also - luv

I see no reason why anyone should be bringing up showing on this thread at all really, its a thread about rescuing
you obviously have a bee in your bonnet there, personally if I had made a mistake about a quote I thought someone had made I would at least be saying sorry for the mistake instead of continuing to insult the person
Good God, I can't believe I'm replying to this but here goes:

The comment was in context as I was referring to a thread I was trying to recollect. End of. I don't care what you think of showing, your opinion on the matter means nothing to me in the nicest possible way!

Where have I misquoted you?

"Luv" is a North East term - I use it all the time in texts and conversationally in a friendly way etc.

Look back at my quote re paranoia - you'll see that I actually said the comments were borderline paranoid not you personally.

I think you need to calm down and stop taking things so personally and out of context.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 11:34 PM

The less restrictive they are with rehoming policies the more dogs will be rehomed and the less there will be waiting for homes and at risk of being PTS. Quite simple really.
The problem comes that the less restrictive they are, the more dogs there will be that bounce back and forth so much that they are irretrievably damaged and risk being PTS - still simple, but takes a bit of lateral thinking which is probably why many rescues have developed the policies they have.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
The problem comes that the less restrictive they are, the more dogs there will be that bounce back and forth so much that they are irretrievably damaged and risk being PTS - still simple, but takes a bit of lateral thinking which is probably why many rescues have developed the policies they have.
Of course that's a possibility, but if that was always the case everyone would have the same over restrictive policies which they don't.

I'm not disputing the reasons for a lot of the policies (which are in place to protect the dogs), what I'm disputing is how inflexible a lot of these rescues are with the policies. When I volunteered and also when I rescued Pickles a lot of the dogs were refused homes automatically based on pre set criteria, dogs that had been in kennels quite a while. Many dogs were refused homes with people who worked full time that would employ a dog walker (based on that old chesnut "dogs can only be left for 4 hours"), yet these dogs were left in kennels without human contact for a Hell of a lot longer than that. It's contradictory restrictions like that that need looking into, as I said just because rescues do a good job doesn't mean they can't do it better!

My main point still remains though - I find it totally abhorrent that a rescue will prevent a dog being rescued based on a personal prejudiced opinion.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 11:34 AM
When you run your rescue you will be able to do as you like with your dogs----as the very dedicated and caring people who run them now do.

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Of course that's a possibility, but if that was always the case everyone would have the same over restrictive policies which they don't.

I'm not disputing the reasons for a lot of the policies (which are in place to protect the dogs), what I'm disputing is how inflexible a lot of these rescues are with the policies. When I volunteered and also when I rescued Pickles a lot of the dogs were refused homes automatically based on pre set criteria, dogs that had been in kennels quite a while. Many dogs were refused homes with people who worked full time that would employ a dog walker (based on that old chesnut "dogs can only be left for 4 hours"), yet these dogs were left in kennels without human contact for a Hell of a lot longer than that. It's contradictory restrictions like that that need looking into, as I said just because rescues do a good job doesn't mean they can't do it better!

My main point still remains though - I find it totally abhorrent that a rescue will prevent a dog being rescued based on a personal prejudiced opinion.
I've never worked directly with rescue centres, but have worked with the dogs that have gone to the 'wrong' homes to try to overcome the behaviour problems that have developed so I can well see a need for policies to avoid these things happening where ever possible.

I've also had the explanations of why the dog has ended up in the 'wrong' home from the rescue centres and 99% of the time the reason is because the very well meaning adopters have not been completely truthful at the time of adoption.

So the 'personally prejudiced' opinions tend to be based on very good reasons as far as I can see and looking at some of the heartbreak that comes with 'bending the rules' is far outweighs the disgruntlement of those who think those rules unfair.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 01:56 PM
The other problem is that people that give dogs up are not honest either---Polly's ex owners wrote that she was good with kids. That is frightening and if the wrong policies were in place some child could have been badly damaged.

I remember working with a girl who rehomed a nice black large x breed from the rescue I worked with. She rang and said she had a problem---turned out the dog was growling at her when she went to pick the baby up----the baby was on the floor next to the dog at the time.

Thats why lots of them won't rehome with kids---you think the people are sensible but they really aren't.

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
When you run your rescue you will be able to do as you like with your dogs----as the very dedicated and caring people who run them now do.

rune
Absolutely and I certainly won't be basing my policies on such a shockingly prejudiced view!

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I've never worked directly with rescue centres, but have worked with the dogs that have gone to the 'wrong' homes to try to overcome the behaviour problems that have developed so I can well see a need for policies to avoid these things happening where ever possible.

I've also had the explanations of why the dog has ended up in the 'wrong' home from the rescue centres and 99% of the time the reason is because the very well meaning adopters have not been completely truthful at the time of adoption.

So the 'personally prejudiced' opinions tend to be based on very good reasons as far as I can see and looking at some of the heartbreak that comes with 'bending the rules' is far outweighs the disgruntlement of those who think those rules unfair.
Originally Posted by rune View Post
The other problem is that people that give dogs up are not honest either---Polly's ex owners wrote that she was good with kids. That is frightening and if the wrong policies were in place some child could have been badly damaged.

I remember working with a girl who rehomed a nice black large x breed from the rescue I worked with. She rang and said she had a problem---turned out the dog was growling at her when she went to pick the baby up----the baby was on the floor next to the dog at the time.

Thats why lots of them won't rehome with kids---you think the people are sensible but they really aren't.

rune
I've already addressed both of the above posts so rather than wasting my time going over old ground I'll just reiterate:

rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Obviously the rescue I worked with didn't have the 'same restrictive policy'---did it?---otherwise the girl could not have acted in such a stupid way! She got away with it but had she not you can bet your life it would have been the fault of the rescue.

This was, of course, someone who----'knew about dogs'.

Which is why they have 'restrictive policies'---because people can be such idiots!

rune
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Wondered how this thread was up to 90+ posts, Now I see!

Don't think Asprilla's getting the attention he deserves! Gorgeous pup, hope he finds a good home
Page 10 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10