register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 29 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 10:25 PM
i dont bet on it, i dont watch it or support it or any other form of racing, be it dogs or horses.

I think its an unnecessary and cruel sport.

I dont think the animals particularly enjoy it, and certainly when the stakes are so high for monetary purposes and that is put above the well being of the animal then its just not right.

I think that its unrealistic for it to be banned, however from what Ihave read and how the commentators brushed over what had happened I find it despicable and sadly reflective of todays society's attitude to animal welfare.

If this had been the Formula One race and a driver had died in an accident, the race would have been stopped, and there would have been no celebration.

To simply ride on past two dead horses just makes me feel ill.

Animals arent here for our service, and although we do use them for this, we should at least have the respect to treat them right. Isnt that whats supposed to make us human????
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Dawn has disappointed me too. Such a shame
Allright, I don't think we need to keep picking on Dawn now. You have made your point about how disappointed you are. It's not just about her, it's about everyone who believes in it and supports it.

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i dont bet on it, i dont watch it or support it or any other form of racing, be it dogs or horses.

I dont think the animals particularly enjoy it, and certainly when the stakes are so high for monetary purposes and that is put above the well being of the animal then its just not right.

I think that its unrealistic for it to be banned, however from what Ihave read and how the commentators brushed over what had happened I find it despicable and sadly reflective of todays society's attitude to animal welfare.

If this had been the Formula One race and a driver had died in an accident, the race would have been stopped, and there would have been no celebration.

Animals arent here for our service, and although we do use them for this, we should at least have the respect to treat them right. Isnt that whats supposed to make us human????
Very good post and excellent comparison.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yet you watched, knowing the possibilities. Gets a lot of folk like that.
I did watch, fully aware of what could happen.... I just felt saddened by it this year, I think, seeing the horse fully exhausted and having to be taken straight back to the stables made me uncomfortable, I know they said he pushed himself, but I still felt uncomfortable with it... Even more so, that the two horses that lost their lives were only mentioned at the end of broadcasting and not by their names...
Racing will not end, the revenue from it is too high, horses die and jockeys get badly injured too, the latter fully aware of this when they sit in the saddle. This will not change, racehorses at the pinnacle of their career will be treated well, but they are all insured against death too, otherwise they would never be entered in the races...
Its a hard one, if there was no racing, those horses simply would not exist, they were bred to be raced, but us as humans want to push these horses to the furthest edge in the name of sport...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post

Brilliant post as usual Dani x
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Allright, I don't think we need to keep picking on Dawn now. You have made your point about how disappointed you are. It's not just about her, it's about everyone who believes in it and supports it.
You know what, Dawn is more than capable of sticking up for herself and in this particular instance, no, it isn't about everyone who holds a differing view, it is about Dawn's resposnses on this and the other thread. I respect Dawn immensely for her ability to argue her point whilst being informative and polite, she is the ONLY person who almost persuaded me to meet up with her at a Boxing Day hunt to see the other side of the coin...that's how much I respect her and the way she generally comes across. Sadly, I haven't seen any of that on this thread.

Please do not make assumptions about me and what I am talking about Pidge, nor try to take the moral high ground with me.

If I didn't think Dawn could take it I wouldn't say it, I have known her for a long time.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 08:15 AM
It's interesting that the stats so far on this poll are similar to the yougov poll I posted on the other thread.
So far 31% want it abolished and 53% want it to be changed in some way....making 84% of people that are not totally happy about it, that's quite a staggering majority.
Only 9% want it to stay as it is.
Speaks volumes.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 08:34 AM
I dont think Dawn needs anyone sticking up for her, she has shown many times that she can handle her own. If she chooses to come on here with those comments (like horses being ours to do what we want with, even if that means dying in the name of sport) she will upset, anger etc people so they should be allowed to say things back, provided they say it in a reasonable manner. I certainly dont think she has been 'picked on'.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Total difference of opinions here. For me, an animals life is not so matter of fact.
Classic reply of somebody who has absolutely NOTHING to back up the crap she is spouting, nice work! Found out a treat!
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

what about dog fighting? people enjoy that yes its illegal but they still bet on a dog winning a fight thru enjoyment, these dog arnt bred for fighting same as horses arnt bred for jumping that high its all the same to me animal cruelty
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Azz View Post

Animals are not here to serve us. To be used and abused by selfish, greedy, despicable humans. Neither is the planet some commodity that greedy lowlifes can rape for their own personal gain

Really disappointed to hear that from you Dawn I thought you had more respect for living creatures than that.
Unfortunately many are Azz, look at service dogs, or is that ok?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Dawn has disappointed me too. Such a shame
That doesnt bother me at all, I have no interest in other peoples approval, as long as I am comfortable with what I do, Im happy with that.
Page 6 of 29 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »