Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

18-06-2014, 09:09 AM

How fast is your broadband?

Just wondering what broadband speeds everyone is getting vs what you are promised.

If you fancy joining in, please visit www.speedtest.net and carry out a speed test (click on 'Begin Test') then once it's complete click on share > forum > copy

Then paste into your post. Please also include whether you are connected via a wired or wireless connection and what you were promised in your package.

Here's mine as an example:

ISP: SKY
Package: Fibre Unlimited 40Mbps
Connection type: Wireless

Review: Recently upgraded to fibre, as our normal broadband was just getting slow. However, as you can see we are not getting anywhere near the promised 40Mbps! Our wired speeds are closer at 35Mbps but thats no good as we connect wirelessly. I have got them to send out a new router, but its just the same - so have asked them to cancel. Hence on the lookout for someone who can deliver on their promises.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Ours is rubbish and we don't have the fibre optic option.

Unfortunately, until they upgrade our telephone exchange (which seems likely sometime never), we're stuck with it no matter who the provider
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2014, 12:19 PM

I am only paying for 10 whatevers and I seem to be getting more than that - and it is plenty fast enough for me. [The figures vary as to which server.] I know my router says it is wireless but I am definitely connected by cable through the telephone line.

I could probably get cheaper/faster if I changed to a different ISP - same if I changed to a different telephone company, but I am sticking with Bezeq International for internet and Bezeq Telephone for their service.

As far as I am concerned, it is quality over quantity [if you understand what I mean] and there is always an English-speaking techie at the end of the phone if I have any problems.

I do not download movies or music so why would I want anything faster?

Thinking about it I am not paying for speed at all - I am paying for service.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2014, 12:27 PM

Don't understand any of this but here it is!
Mine is wireless, I have been offered Fibre optic with a £30 set up fee which frankly I haven't got. Not only that but I am happy with what I've got
Don't know what speed I was promised
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Mines about 50mbs and I'm on virgin media, promised 60mbs and that's with my tablet, two smartphones, smatttv and two PCs running off it and only the PCs and my TV are hardwired
Meg
Supervisor

18-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Ours is rubbish and we don't have the fibre optic option.

Unfortunately, until they upgrade our telephone exchange (which seems likely sometime never), we're stuck with it no matter who the provider
Mine is the same, 'tortoise net' that's what you get for living in the countryside...

Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2014, 07:37 PM

We have Sky fibre doodad if that's any help?
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2014, 10:57 AM
The speeds quoted by broadband providers say UP TO not the actual speed you may get.

Often the fibre optic cable only goes as far as the cabinet (green box in the street) and from there to a property by normal phone line. Anther determination to speed is the distance from the telephone exchange
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-06-2014, 11:12 AM
They are talking about fibre optic here but it will only be in the centre of the country to start with so could be years before it gets to me.

But I am more than satisfied with the speed I get, especially as it is more than I pay for!

Actually I cannot think of any reason why I would want anything faster...
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Where we are moving to as far as I know also doesn't have fibre optics. Have to say I do think its a bit of a cheek charging extra for it when on Skype you can go anywhere in the world free or at very little cost for the initial phone call. Where we lived the speed was 1.5mb/s and if lucky up to 1.8mb/s until they sorted a line fault (took 4 months) went up to around 2.0mb/s. I kept telling them the line plastic coating had worn through due to going in a line of trees and bushes. But who am I to know that apart from over 20 years of working for BT in the field
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >