View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Ooh I know about Podengos, we looked at them too. Name one small breed we didn't look at!

As far as I know, they have no health issues. The thing to remember with Pods is that they are hounds! We spoke to the owner of one who does agility with her boy, and he is very good, but she says on walks she hardly sees him, and this could affect their agility! We went to Discover Dogs and saw them too, but we were put off slightly, as they didn't seem too friendly to our Goldens, and the owner said they were territorial.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Gina&Jaz View Post
I'm almost positive Pyrennean Sheepdogs can run in ABC classes, it's only border collies, working sheepdogs (if you class them as different!) and their mixes that can't.

Don't let not being a toy dog person put you off! We had Golden Retrievers for years, and we got our Cavalier and are totally hooked! It's nice to have a dog that can sit on your lap and actually fit.
Collie crosses are ABC too, its only border collies (as defined by KC - ie dog with papers) and WSD's (again as defined by KC, border collies without papers)
If you want a pyr shep then you have to look at this woman

(I spend hours looking at her videos and website she is AMAZING and I would steal her little La away in a heartbeat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmGkzugcves
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2008, 09:06 PM
I'll second Perrypooh, how about a Miniature Schnauzer?

I'm doing agility with my Mini Schnauzer, Pepper, she's fantastic on all the kit, does a-frames and the dog walk just for fun (whether she's asked to or not!) loves tunnels of all varieties and she's fast. (The only problem is holding her attention, she keeps getting distracted by all the interesting smells, but it's early days and that's just my Pepper, I'm sure we'll get there with a bit more work.)

I'd love a mini poodle one day and I've seen a few competing in agility but if they're not for you how about a Schnauzer? In pet trim they just look terrierish, they don't have to have eye-brows like Dennis Healy.

This was Peppers first ever go at an a-frame.

J
Eceni
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Collie crosses are ABC too, its only border collies (as defined by KC - ie dog with papers) and WSD's (again as defined by KC, border collies without papers)

(I spend hours looking at her videos and website she is AMAZING and I would steal her little La away in a heartbeat

That's completely amazing - thank you... is that truly a Pyrenean? I'd have thought it was a collie if you hadn't said. I've just watched it twice and it's so blindingly fast, you can't tell what it is at all.... {{{Edit: OK - did a search for 'Pyrenean sheepdog agility' and found that same video, differently titled. Definitely a Pyrenees. So VERY fast!

and - re the mini schnauzers... I havea friend who's a senior referral vet who's just got one - and said 'they're so riddled with disease I don't expect her to make double figures' = which had kind of put me off even looking, but will try again - she does look good.

I was getting rather into the Papillon idea but my OH has vetoed that for sure - she's not, absolutely not being seen out with one of them...

so the trick is:

a) find a breed or breeds that'll suit - sane, sorted, athletic, not prone to fat later on, and if it has inherited diseases, they should be testable
b) find a breeder who's not in denial about the various disease profiles and is testing for them
c) find a breeder who's not only testing, but is prepared to have a go at the BioSensor rearing techniques, or something similar. If current theory is true that 30 percent of the dog's behaviour is genetic and all the rest is down to early rearing, then I want the very best early rearing.
d) ideally the breeder feeds raw, but that's not essential

This is not proving easy... SO far, I've found a BC breeder and a working cocker breeder who tick all the boxes - had found a Papillon breeder who did, but doubt if I can swing that one this side of 50. Maybe next dog...

so still hunting. Will talk to the Podengo people tonight.

And have my eye on a coming litter of PJRTs, just terrified of the inherited ataxia.

thank you all - very good pics of the mini Schnauzer

e
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 06:50 PM
This is Bex a working Cocker, owned & run by my Mate Chars Dad

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oowSF2brpOw

Very Fast
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Look At silvia trkmans P sheepdog, very Fast!!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iwVgP0S_nyM&NR=1

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4lLS7xX9RtM

Totally Fab or what?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

I didnt see you had already posted a La link!!!! Sorry cos i linked some more.......Signed fellow La Fan!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 08:04 PM
I was going to say Papillons too - there was a lady I used to go the same dog-training classes as us and hers were so clever and obedient.
Eceni
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I didnt see you had already posted a La link!!!! Sorry cos i linked some more.......Signed fellow La Fan!
This is a dumb question 'cos I've never seen the dog - but I found this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vLYPE2...eature=related

which is her as a puppy - and she looks just like a BC and nothing like a Pyr? I didn't think they came in merle?

I'm happy to believe she is, just that she looks quite different than I'd imagined. Is there someone breeding merle ones somewhere? (and is it in Sweden?!?)
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >