Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 12:52 AM

Can Labradors Do Agility?!

Hey,

I saw a leaflet for agility classes in my vets a few months ago and thought, when the puppies were old enough it might be a fun thing for them to do. But can labs do it? I know very little about agility so dont know if theres any restrictions on which breeds can or cant take part. But i thought it might be fun and it would keep them (and me!!) fit.

Assuming it is ok to take them along, when could i? They're 11 months old now, i dont think id want to do it until they're at least 12 months old, but any suggestions about that? Also, is there anything the need to do before going to the classes? They're both very obedient on and off the lead, they will come when i call them and stay and walk to heel (most of the time!) and stuff so is that good enough to take them to a 'beginners class'?

Does it sound like it might be something worth doing with them?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 06:35 AM
Uhm yes of course they can..... BUT they need to be finished growing. Here in Denmark (or atleast where I live) they say the dogs should be atleast 1 year before they start jumping. But there's a lot more to it than just jumping.. There's the tunnel and some other things I dont know the english words for...

I do agility with Luna..

Maybe they wont win a competition if a Border Collie is attending aswell, but they can run agility.

Luna loves it!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Yes, there are some good agility Labs

Your dog must be fit though - not carrying extra weight, hip & elbows sound. As Jeanette said, no high impact exercises until the dog's bones and joints are mature.

Also, you need very good obedience before you even think about doing agility. Are your dogs totally obedient under extreme distraction and when the adrenaline is running high? Will they recall to you away from other dogs, people eating, children running etc.? Do they focus on you to the exclusion of everything else that is going on? Can you handle on the right as well as on the left?

Not sure of the rules & regulations there, but you may find that you need to register your dogs with the KC (if they are not already registered) should you wish to enter trials in the future.

Agility is great fun for people & dogs, well worth doing, so do have a go. Best thing is to contact a club and see what they say regarding obedience levels etc.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Think any breed or cross breed can do agility, they are split into sizes and the hight of jumps is adjusted to suit. Undoutably the Border Collie is in a different class when it comes to agility, they are fast and very flexable but often there are classes open to all except BCs other breeds do get a look in.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the replies!

They're both KC registered and we're planning to have their hips and elbows done when they're 12 months to make sure everythings alright with that so assuming its all ok maybe i could have a word to the vet and make sure they'd be able to do it? They're both very fit and healthy so i dont think that would be a problem.

Meg is more obediant than Riley (she will come the second you call her regardless of anything going on around her) but Riley will come back 99% of the time! I suppose i could take them along to the classes and they'd tell me if they were no good?!

Obviously, having never done it before i dont expect to be doing it at a really high level but i just thought it might be good for the dogs and that they'd enjoy it!

Can i find out about local clubs in my area from the kennel club?
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Ally beat the bc´s there when we did agility
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 04:39 PM
As others have said, BC's/WSD are the agility champions of the dog world, but all breeds/crossbreeds can compete
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 06:44 PM
and then you get the kelpies that whoop the butts off the collies!

labs can definately do agility my lab Jackson was my first agility dog and although not the fastest clocked up hundreds and hundreds of clear rounds over his eight years competing!!! At starter level a consistent lab can be very competitive as the "good" collies win out and the others although fast may be lacking in basic control on things like contacts and weaves - give it a go, it's great fun!
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Ah well, those BCs are agility fanatics but as an ABC handler I've joined forces against them. (We're planning an anti-BC petition ) rofl, sorry did't mean to offend anyone out there, but it really annoys me that people get a BC to be "serious" in agility, and now hardly anyone without a lithe black & white dog who can run a course in under 35 seconds hardly gets a look in! It's not entirely fair methinks.

I'm lucky for the reason I live in Switzerland (not half the dogs who run in Large are BCs) and that my dog runs in small (and can run faster than any Sheltie or Jack Russell when he wants too ). I am considering a BC though for my next big dog, not for the agility but because they can do anything if you get a mentally stable one. But higher on the list is the working Kelpie, Koolie, or the Australian Cattle Dog........can't get the heelers out of my head (love those australian dogs )

And yes, Labs can do agility Any breed can. Some of the surest dogs I've seen are Labs,and as you know speed is only half the deal. A fit lab is a joy to watch and to run