View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2019, 12:22 PM
Today on our mid morning walk. Gert saw a crow/raven and took not a lot of notice it was a "safe" distance away which she has learnt over time means go close they flutter away and is a waste of her time.

But this one stayed put I took no notice bringing up the rear on the walk then she went closer and instead of flying the crow hopped/ran so Gert went closer still it hopped I called her but hey did not have much chance "prey drive" she almost caught it then BACKED OFF the crow then died in the middle of the footpath much to my heartbreak.

Gert sniffed a bit then came back a lady who was walking came up behind me.

I immediately got Gert on the lead as she had come back and said (defensively!) "She never touched it."

The lady confirmed the crow had been hopping and not able to fly earlier when she passed and said the crow possibly old/ill had maybe had a heart attack with the dog chasing it and maybe for the best rather than a lingering death.

We were chatting in general about the run over badger up the lane then to our amazement the crow got up and hopped off...………the lady crossed herself and I quickly walked in the other direction with lead still on as Gert starred and eyed up the crow.

We shall be avoiding that bit for a while me thinks
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2019, 11:31 PM
It's lovely and quiet here now although, on saying that it was extremely busy over the weekend, but mainly older folk rather than kids and swearing parents.

It's a little tricks that birds and some animals have when they think they are about to be attacked. Playing dead often saves their lives and as soon as the danger is over, up they get and go on their merry way.

Glad that hubby is doing OK today Brenda and also hope that Harvey isn't suffering
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2