Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 08:32 PM
it just seems to be in training that he doesnt have the same enthusiasm

Then it is you! Although to be fair some dogs can up the ante if they believe their resource is in danger! So you could use this to your advantage!

Have you tried replicating a competition during training with a mock agility round?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 08:38 PM
If he is only a year why is he doing full rounds?

Or is he older?

rune
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2011, 08:39 PM
It is funny that this is the second time that I have heard mentioned that the zoomies are a sign of stress. I competed quite a bit last year with Remmy and he was really focused and did really well. The last trial of the year, he was completely crazy, wouldn't listen and just zoomed around the ring doing whatever he wanted. I thought at the time that maybe he had just had enough of Agility for the year but never thought of the zoomies being stress related.

He is a Shih Tzu x Maltese, does not do tuggies or balls, so was completely trained with treats. He was good from the start of doing courses with no treats, he seemed to know he got them afterwards.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I was on a training day today with Kamal Fernandez and one of the dogs there was a GR who was the most laid back dog I had ever seen.

It was very interesting to see how he got the dog strutting around with his toy with his tail up, a vast difference from when he was being played with by his owner.

It all came down to timing and handling. Have you thought about going to a 1:1 trainer or a course with a person skilled in motivating dogs of this type?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post
It is funny that this is the second time that I have heard mentioned that the zoomies are a sign of stress. I competed quite a bit last year with Remmy and he was really focused and did really well. The last trial of the year, he was completely crazy, wouldn't listen and just zoomed around the ring doing whatever he wanted. I thought at the time that maybe he had just had enough of Agility for the year but never thought of the zoomies being stress related.

He is a Shih Tzu x Maltese, does not do tuggies or balls, so was completely trained with treats. He was good from the start of doing courses with no treats, he seemed to know he got them afterwards.
yeah the really sad thing with the zoomies and the sniffing is people often think the dog is ignoring them, being stubborn or bad and get angry - and that only makes the dog do it more
It is SO hard not to show any frustration when your dog is doing a crazy wall of death around a barn tho lol - and everyone looks at you like you are so rubbish that you dont have any control over your dog
I have grown quite a thick skin lately lol
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
it just seems to be in training that he doesnt have the same enthusiasm

Then it is you! Although to be fair some dogs can up the ante if they believe their resource is in danger! So you could use this to your advantage!

Have you tried replicating a competition during training with a mock agility round?
Its quite hard to replicate this as i train 1:1 with my instructors.
Originally Posted by rune View Post
If he is only a year why is he doing full rounds?

Or is he older?

rune
No, he's a year old. By me saying he is doing a full course, it isnt the length of a competition size course, but it does include all the equipment. I dont see what the problem is?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 09:11 AM
i dont think there is anything wrong with a year old slim fit collie doing a full round...they only take less than a minute
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post

my lurcher occasionally did zoomies...he would join back the round at exactly the point he left it lol... they defo were not stress related!..he was having a blast!...the 'fart about option' that S.B talks about .
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Well most of us who compete seriously do set ups like in competition and I mean EVERYTHING that goes on in competition to replicate what happens at a show so we can train for it.

Dogs do not become ring/trial/competition wise (contrary to popular belief) WE change the rules. So it is up to us to try and replicate the rules we have to follow in competition and thus classically condition the behaviour we want at a trial.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well most of us who compete seriously do set ups like in competition and I mean EVERYTHING that goes on in competition to replicate what happens at a show so we can train for it.

Dogs do not become ring/trial/competition wise (contrary to popular belief) WE change the rules. So it is up to us to try and replicate the rules we have to follow in competition and thus classically condition the behaviour we want at a trial.
I understand that, but in terms of him seeming to work better in a competition environment im not sure how it would help? He is not distracted easily by people and/or dogs or the general hustle and bustle of a competition environment.
He has been coming to shows with me since he was 11 weeks old and ive worked hard with him in terms of getting his focus and doing bits of training with him in really busy areas.
When training he will do all the work i ask of him and ignore anything around him...he just quickly loses enthusiasm and so does it at his own pace
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »