View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 12:12 PM
We have been to agility for the first time today and Tala was a little star. We just did the low jumps, hoop, tunnel and A frame on the ground and a walk across the dog walk at the end. No hesitation, she did it all first time.

I chose to have one of Xanti's puppies but I did mention to Karen that I wanted to do obedience with my dog and she recommended the puppy that I took. Is it possible to know whether the puppy has drive at 8 weeks of age?

Hopefully I will find something that will motivate her. In my experience it is more difficult to train with food than with a toy.

And if it doesn't work out with the obedience she is still a super dog with great social skills, friendly and outgoing and confident, quiet in the house and happy to be left when necessary without being destructive. What more could I ask for? Well a better recall perhaps
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Fantastic that Tala did so well at agility - I am sure she will love it, and it should help with the bond between you and ultimately her general obedience and even her recall
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I chose to have one of Xanti's puppies but I did mention to Karen that I wanted to do obedience with my dog and she recommended the puppy that I took. Is it possible to know whether the puppy has drive at 8 weeks of age?
I don't think it is possible to know exactly how much drive a pup will have at maturity when it is only 8 weeks old, but I would imagine that, as breeder, you can gauge through past litters or from the drive of the parents how much drive the pups are likely to have. There are always exceptions to the rule though

Tala sounds a marvellous girl - I just want to see more piccies now!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I don't think it is possible to know exactly how much drive a pup will have at maturity when it is only 8 weeks old, but I would imagine that, as breeder, you can gauge through past litters or from the drive of the parents how much drive the pups are likely to have. There are always exceptions to the rule though

Im not sure you could say hand on heart, the pup would have drive, but the last litter I had as you know I hand reared 11 of them, there were very diff personalitys in the litter, some will know the story of beau, he and another two pups were ear-marked to go to homes with children, they had super calm personalitys, very loving and laid back, beau was only gone a matter of weeks, then I took him back, I kept him untill he was 7/8 months old, by that time, he could do HW/SA/DC/ stays, retrieve, AR..

You would have thought a more high drive pup would have done better such as vinne, but the opposite was true in this case..
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

Xanti was a very calm and quiet dog but Tala was super bouncy as a little puppy. She still gets really excited at times but not over chasing balls etc. She is just very different from my previous dogs and I haven't yet figured out how to work with her.
And yes I must sort out my problems with posting pics.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Im not sure you could say hand on heart, the pup would have drive, but the last litter I had as you know I hand reared 11 of them, there were very diff personalitys in the litter, some will know the story of beau, he and another two pups were ear-marked to go to homes with children, they had super calm personalitys, very loving and laid back, beau was only gone a matter of weeks, then I took him back, I kept him untill he was 7/8 months old, by that time, he could do HW/SA/DC/ stays, retrieve, AR..

You would have thought a more high drive pup would have done better such as vinne, but the opposite was true in this case..
In that case there is hope for me yet Shona!
Can I ask why Beau came back to you?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Xanti was a very calm and quiet dog but Tala was super bouncy as a little puppy. She still gets really excited at times but not over chasing balls etc. She is just very different from my previous dogs and I haven't yet figured out how to work with her.
And yes I must sort out my problems with posting pics.
Just gpot to find her "on" switch then! it will be somewhere! just somewhere strange!!!!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Just gpot to find her "on" switch then! it will be somewhere! just somewhere strange!!!!
I'm working on it mish
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Prob is going to involve you doing embaressing stuff.

"when " does she get realy excited? & Why? lets get some ideas from that!!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Prob is going to involve you doing embaressing stuff.

"when " does she get realy excited? & Why? lets get some ideas from that!!
She gets excited seeing other dogs running and wants to join them. She gets excited when people speak to her in the street or visit at home and jumps up at them.
She gets pretty excited about finding a bit of wood and throws it around and catches it herself but I don't encourage this. Plastic bottles also but not so much now. Both these things she seems to prefer to play with by herself. I have had a little success running around with a ball on a long rope but that has lasted only a day or so.
In the house she likes to play tug with a squeaky toy.
Yes I can see there are opportunities and I just need to harness her excitement in some way.
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >