Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 04:38 PM

Phase two...

Well I've spent the last few days standing out at the front with Takara feeding her primula each and every time someone walks past and asking willing participants to throw a toy for her or feed her a (long) treat through the gate (longer treats are safer for fingers when a dog is a bit over aroused!)

Today... I couldn't believe it after only a couple of days of training, people were walking past the gate and my dog wasn't making a sound! But I was still concerned that she has only been taught that people are good when I'm there.

So... on top of the gate post I have put a tyre toy... and attached to the gate post is a sign...
'PLEASE THROW THE TYRE FOR THE DALMATIAN.
THANKYOU.
Please try to miss my car!'

I have put dalmatian as opposed to 'dog' because we have a border collie staying who won't chase it anyway but I don't want arguments if it's sent in the direction of the border collie and Takara wants it.

This is a bit of an experiment but it would be interesting to know if it makes matters worse (I anticipate a possible play bark starting) or better... the next step could be to put a bag of treats out there instead.

I will let you know how this goes - so far we've had one woman walk past and throw it whilst Takara was indoors... so Takara went and barked at her, and a couple of blokes walk up, see the sign, read it, look confused, see the CCTV and clearly think it's a trick to get them caught on camera!