Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Need something pretty to climb an arch!

We have an arch over our garden path and wanted to try and grow something to climb up it.
Its near-ish to our rabbit garden so would preferably need something animal safe if for any reason it spread into their enclosure.

Any ideas? x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 11:40 AM
I`ve got a hardy clematis, which keeps its leaves all year. That looks nice over an arch.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks for tht, ill have a look for one soon
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Passion flower
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Hmm, I like honeysuckle but can go a little crazy. I know ivy's are posionous to rabbits.

How about an evergreen Jasmine: evergreen, dark glossy leaves and white blooms that smell like gardenia that last from early spring throughout the summer.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Wysteria every time for me, great big bunches of pretty mauve flowers (look like bunches of grapes), and the smell is gorgeous too, and then you have the leaves until the next flowering in summertime.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Need something pretty to climb an arch!

I thought you were looking for fashion tips to climb marble arch or something..
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Winter Jasmine yellow flowers throught the dark winter days and summer Jasmine beautiful white fragrant flowers for the summer.

Climbing rose, honeysuckle, there are lots if you pop out to some nurseries you will get some ideas of all the different choices out there.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Depends on the soil and access to the sun. Good ideas from others. Roses look lovely but they do suffer from so many problems. Wisteria is wonderful but takes ages to flower after planting. Honeysuckle would look lovely and smell glorious and it is so tough.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
Depends on the soil and access to the sun. Good ideas from others. Roses look lovely but they do suffer from so many problems. Wisteria is wonderful but takes ages to flower after planting. Honeysuckle would look lovely and smell glorious and it is so tough.
Yes, 5 years for my last one! The previous one was already here when we moved, and it covered the whole front of the house, everybody used to stop and stare in admiration when they walked past at the beautiful, purple splendour in May, but it doesn't last long, then you're left with just the leaves, but they're nice leaves, they rustle in the wind! It had to go though, coz it re-rooted itself in the roof and hubby said never again, so I've potted my new one
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >