Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2014, 10:30 AM

Which coat?

I wasn't sure where to put this but thought this was the best place.

My dog has arthritis of the spine (spondylitis) and in his hips. When the weather gets cold he gets in quite a bit of pain, so we got him a couple of coats.
The first was rubbish, it kept blowing up and had elastic straps to go around his back legs which rub him as he walks. The velcro on it has gone, some of the stitching has come undone and it doesn't keep his hips warm.
The second was a more expensive fleece like material, which doesn't blow up as easily and Cookie seems to really like. If you hold it up he will walk into it and more or less put it on himself. He's happy walking in it and it keeps his back lovely and warm. But doesn't do much for his hips. It covers over the top of them but they get cold and he struggles after.

Is there a decent, long lasting, well made coat that anyone could recommend that will cover his hips but not rub on him? We are going to a cabin/lodge close to Christmas and I would love for him to be warm outside and enjoy his time there as much as possible without being in pain.
I've seen some full body suits by googling but not sure of the brands, sizes or quality.
To be honest I'm not too concerned about cost, but it needs to be as perfect as possible.

Thanks
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-10-2014, 12:22 PM
i love equafleece snug and a good range i have the 'tankie' for my boy for general post walk snoogles and with his dogby shoulder tendon you can velcro his magnet pads inside
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Thank you, I've had a quick look at their site and they do a full body suit that might do the trick. Thanks again
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-10-2014, 06:24 PM
These look fab

http://www.k9cleancoats.co.uk/
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-10-2014, 07:10 PM
My boxer also has spondylosis and bad hips, he had an equfleece ...I had the traditional coat, I just made sure it was long enough to cover hips, both my boxers had them , they last for years , and the dogs can run in them .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Here's an example....

lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2014, 07:31 PM
I recommend the Lands End Squall Jacket. Very well made with reflective trim-lasts even with repeated washings for many years. On really chilly days I put a sweater under it. One of the best sites for sweaters is Baxter Boo...warning, you'll want to buy most of them!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Thank you for all the replies.
Lovemybull, I'm a little apprehensive about ordering from America, last time I did I got stung by import tax. But there are some great ideas on Baxter Boo.
Jackie, love the pic, looks like they aren't restricted at all. How are the fastened? Is it just the strap underneath or are their back legs fastened in as well?
Nursey, that site has the sort of thing I was looking for, seems like a great idea. I will measure Cookie up and see if I can get a price list for his size. I can't see any prices on the site, any idea or a rough prize range? Are they decent quality?
I'm tempted to make a onesie to try on him, just something from old clothes to see if he is happy to wear it before ordering one. I might get another coat for him since he has no problem with them as long as they don't blow up and have no back leg straps.
Dicko
New Member!
Male 

25-10-2014, 10:27 AM
I bought a fleece onesie for my little staffie cross 2 years ago from T.K. Maxx , it is great ,velcro very easy to get on,BUT she will not move with the back legs on so I took them off. If you have no luck you are very welcome to them,they will easily attach to a fleece coat.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Sorry Sarah Jade I have no idea on prices. I imagine it depends on size and fabric choice. Why not drop her an email with the breed of dog and see if she can give an estimate. Arent they brilliant though.