Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zulu 2014
New Member!
Male 

02-04-2014, 11:27 AM

Chances of winning if your name starts with 'Z'

First time poster and haven't seen this question posted before. I have an interesting question to pose based on the following facts :-

1. Most Dog Shows in their Catalogue order Dogs by the Exhibitor's last name, or partnership name.
2. Most Dog Shows call Exhibitors into the Ring in Catalogue Number order while the Judge is watching - dogs are worked in this order mostly as well.
3. Studies have found going first or last in a sequential order contest leads to a biased outcome. See http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...judging-sports or http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=1555094

I have analysed a single Dog Competition (2000+ classes) and found quite convincing evidence over a number of years that your chances of winning if you are the last Exhibitor into the ring is 50% less than any other position.

With the above evidence why do Dog Shows continue to Catalogue by Exhibitor Names and not randomly, and why would you bother to enter if your last name or partnership name starts with 'Z'?

Is there a way to get Dog Shows to change this?

Thanks
Zulu
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Welcome to Dogsey
Interesting stuff
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Most dog shows exhibitors can stand in whatever order they want, it's quite unusual for an order to be chosen by judges or stewards in the UK
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-08-2014, 04:38 PM

Don't know much about that I'm afraid but Welcome To Dogsey.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Zulu 2014 View Post
First time poster and haven't seen this question posted before. I have an interesting question to pose based on the following facts :-

1. Most Dog Shows in their Catalogue order Dogs by the Exhibitor's last name, or partnership name.
2. Most Dog Shows call Exhibitors into the Ring in Catalogue Number order while the Judge is watching - dogs are worked in this order mostly as well.............................................. ...............I have analysed a single Dog Competition (2000+ classes) and found quite convincing evidence over a number of years that your chances of winning if you are the last Exhibitor into the ring is 50% less than any other position.

With the above evidence why do Dog Shows continue to Catalogue by Exhibitor Names and not randomly, and why would you bother to enter if your last name or partnership name starts with 'Z'?

Is there a way to get Dog Shows to change this?

Thanks
Zulu
I have no idea what UK dog show you have "analysed" the results for, but there are no UK KC rules that state that dogs must be shown in alphabetical order & no UK show does this. As for the dogs being "worked" in alphabetical order, what competition is this for ? certainly not conformation shows or Obedience shows(as which only the Championship classes have a full strict(ish)running order drawn at random)

So your analysis is severely flawed, sorry.

BTW just a heads up, conformation judges are not allowed to view a catalogue of entries before or during judging in the UK